Dreaded 3-pixel padding in Internet Explorer

spellbound571969

- Web Site: http://www.sanctuarydown.com

I've been learning HTML coding and while building a website, I noticed
a problem exclusive to Internet Explorer.

The IE web browser automatically adds a 3 pixel padding to the bottom
and right side of images on my pages, causing them to not align
properly. I cannot seem to turn this off with any sort of conventional
HTML coding (margins and borders are turned off, set to zero), and
since I do not use CSS yet, I can't apply any of the fixes I've found
thusfar on the internet.

This 3-pixel padding is not a problem in Mozilla's Firefox browers or
Netscape's browser. It seems to only occur with IE.

As you can see by my page, perfect alignment of images is essential to
the layout. And since the vast majority of users have IE, I'd like this
page to look perfect in IE. Is there any way to shut off these
borders/margins/padding without distorting the page layout in other
browsers and without using the CSS fixes I've read about?

I'm brand new to this board, but it seems like a lot of people here are
quite skilled. I'm hoping someone can help.

Thanks!

David Woods

As you can see by my page, perfect alignment of images is essential to
the layout. And since the vast majority of users have IE, I'd like this
page to look perfect in IE. Is there any way to shut off these
borders/margins/padding without distorting the page layout in other
browsers and without using the CSS fixes I've read about?

Hi, this problem has been discussed lots of times. Check out
http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/threepxtest.html

spellbound571969

Believe it or not, I've read that page up and down several times in the
last week and it didn't help at all.
The reason being is the fixes they give are for pages using CSS. My
knowledge of CSS is limited so I haven't started using that yet. I'm
just trying to find a simple in-line (i believe that is the term) fix
for this problem.
Anyone else have any ideas?
p.s. Thank you so much for your help. I do appreciate it.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "(e-mail address removed)"
<[email protected]> writing in

Please do not top post - see below
Believe it or not, I've read that page up and down several times in
the last week and it didn't help at all.
The reason being is the fixes they give are for pages using CSS. My
knowledge of CSS is limited so I haven't started using that yet. I'm
just trying to find a simple in-line (i believe that is the term) fix
for this problem.
Anyone else have any ideas?
p.s. Thank you so much for your help. I do appreciate it.

Then it's time you started learning/using CSS. There are a few things
that only CSS can do, for example, change colors on hover, etc.

spellbound571969

Thanks for all the info.
But I'm definitely not ready to jump into the CSS realm just yet. I'd
like to learn a little more of the basics and then move on to that.
I'm just hoping someone might know a trick or fix for this 3 pixel
problem using regular HTML.
Any ideas?

Jonathan N. Little

Thanks for all the info.
But I'm definitely not ready to jump into the CSS realm just yet. I'd
like to learn a little more of the basics and then move on to that.
I'm just hoping someone might know a trick or fix for this 3 pixel
problem using regular HTML.
Any ideas?

TRANSLATION: "I don't want to learn anything about what I a doing I want
someone to do it for me"

ANSWERS:
1. Hire someone to do it for you
2. Stop using IE to view your site

BEST ANSWER: (I cannot help myself I have to include a really sincere
answer, and maybe you will get it) Take a little time and learn a little
bit about HTML and CSS. View some example sites, I am sure if asked in
earnest many here can provide you some and guide you along the way.

Andy Dingley

I'm definitely not ready to jump into the CSS realm just yet.

Yes you are, it's easy. You've only got to follow some fairly simple
instructions for one specific bug. You've even managed to find them
already.

By far the best time to learn CSS is right at the beginning of learning
HTML. I teach it on something like the third short session of a
beginner's course.

spellbound571969

Wow. So basically this newsgroup is here so you can ridicule someone
who had a very small question? I do want to help myself, which is why
I'm not asking someone to build a site for me or fix it for me. I just
wondered if there was a simple HTML fix to this problem.

I can't believe the amount of grief I got for asking one small
question.

I apologize.

Adrienne Boswell

Wow. So basically this newsgroup is here so you can ridicule someone
who had a very small question? I do want to help myself, which is why
I'm not asking someone to build a site for me or fix it for me. I just
wondered if there was a simple HTML fix to this problem.

I can't believe the amount of grief I got for asking one small
question.

I apologize.

Please be present. All we have said here is that this is not an HTML
issue, it is a CSS issue, and therefore, you will have to address it
using CSS.

Jonathan N. Little

Wow. So basically this newsgroup is here so you can ridicule someone
who had a very small question? I do want to help myself, which is why
I'm not asking someone to build a site for me or fix it for me. I just
wondered if there was a simple HTML fix to this problem.

Well eliminating the whitespace between the tags would help IE is
especially sensitive to it

I can't believe the amount of grief I got for asking one small
question.

Unfortunately your main approach is wrong and that is why your are not
getting the response your expect. It is a kin to asking a group of
carpenters how to build your house with white paste and not nails and
screws. I am sure the response will be "Don't use paste use nails and
screws", and if you insist on paste you will be ignored or ridiculed.

I apologize.

So don't apologize, just be a little more open to advice. Some here
actually *do* know what they are doing.

Andy Dingley

I can't believe the amount of grief I got for asking one small
question.

You didn't. We haven't _really_ flamed someone for ages!

You asked just about the dumbest question it's possible to ask -- "How
do I fix something, when I've told you already that I'm not going to
listen to the answer". This is just plain damned rude of you - it's
walking up to a bunch of people and telling them that all their
hard-earned skills are worthless and not worth the trouble of learning.

....And we were _still_ helpful to you!

Oh well, no need for that any more.
<plonk>

spellbound571969

Ok. I was definitely out of line in my approach and I'll be more
thoughtful in the future.

I'm just trying to learn a little bit about building websites so I can
have some fun creating my own.

Now, about my original question...Jonathan, your advice worked
perfectly. I eliminated the excess white space in the coding for table
cells and it fixed the problem.

So obviously my troubles were caused by my sloppy coding - something
I'll be more careful of from now on.

I can't thank you enough for your advice, Jonathan. Thanks again.

Jonathan N. Little

Ok. I was definitely out of line in my approach and I'll be more
thoughtful in the future.

I'll give you another bit of advice that will smooth thing over when
your use UseNet. Not everyone uses Google Group but use a real
newsreader for newsgroups so your above statement is total out of
context because you have not quoted what you are referring to. Please
quote the bits that you are responding to in the future as I am doing here.
I'm just trying to learn a little bit about building websites so I can
have some fun creating my own.

That is fine so why not learn to how to do it correctly first. Code for
the year 2000+ not 1990's.
Now, about my original question...Jonathan, your advice worked
perfectly. I eliminated the excess white space in the coding for table
cells and it fixed the problem.

Well sort of, your main problem still exists that you are relying on
very old markup methods that not only make a site more difficult to
maintain, but may not be appear properly as browser improve (notably IE
catches up)
So obviously my troubles were caused by my sloppy coding - something
I'll be more careful of from now on.

As I say above it a a more fundamental flaw...
I can't thank you enough for your advice, Jonathan. Thanks again.