"Dreaming in Code"

Paul McGuire

Haven't seen anyone mention this book, it is a "Soul of a New Machine"-
style record of the Chandler project. Since Chandler uses Python and
Twisted, and employed a few Python celebs, I thought folks on this
list might have already read the hardcover version. I just picked up
the paperback at B&N yesterday, finished it this evening. It's a
decent read, describing a software project in laymen's terms (like
there are laymen out there who care about that sort of thing!).

The paperback version adds a chapter including events that transpired
after the hardcover publication date, current up to about October,
'07, so that's a nice touch.

I'm going to ask my wife to read it so she might learn what I do for a
living.

-- Paul

alexelder

Haven't seen anyone mention this book, it is a "Soul of a New Machine"-
style record of the Chandler project. Since Chandler uses Python and
Twisted, and employed a few Python celebs, I thought folks on this
list might have already read the hardcover version. I just picked up
the paperback at B&N yesterday, finished it this evening. It's a
decent read, describing a software project in laymen's terms (like
there are laymen out there who care about that sort of thing!).

The paperback version adds a chapter including events that transpired
after the hardcover publication date, current up to about October,
'07, so that's a nice touch.

I'm going to ask my wife to read it so she might learn what I do for a
living.

-- Paul

Hi, Paul.

This book was actually the book which got me into Python! At the time
of reading I was in my second year of University, utterly snowed under
with Java and C related assignments/personal projects, however, I
found time to read this book; I'm /so/ glad I did. I actually heard of
the book from an article written by Joel 'Joel on Software', Spolsky.
(you can find it here: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/01/02.html).
It's an interesting read and poses a nice insight into how software
projects evolve over time.

Alex.

alexelder