Dreamweaver MX templates not updating help!

Laura

Hi, I just recently switched from an older version of DW to MX. I have
developed a site based on templates. You can see it here.
http://paranormal.oddlongisland.com
Everything was working fine for a while but I am running into a problem. My
template covers the side bar and the top logo. The main body of text is an
editable region. I made a change to the top banner in the template and now
my template will save but will not update the html files in my site. There
is no error message, it just states that there were 8 files looked at but
none updated. I have recreated the site cache and redefined the site but no
dice. I have not renamed the file or the Templates folder. Can anyone help
me? I really do not want to have to design the whole site over and I do not
know how to fix the pages I already did. Any help would be great!

Laura

Adrienne Boswell

Can anyone help
me? I really do not want to have to design the whole site over and I
do not know how to fix the pages I already did.

One of best reasons I have ever seen for writing markup by hand.

To the OP: run the page through a validator <http://validator.w3.org>, see
what it comes up with, and fix any errors. Next time, back everything up
in a separate directory that might be affected by a software upgrade

Chaddy2222

Laura said:
Hi, I just recently switched from an older version of DW to MX. I have
developed a site based on templates. You can see it here.
http://paranormal.oddlongisland.com
Everything was working fine for a while but I am running into a problem. My
template covers the side bar and the top logo. The main body of text is an
editable region. I made a change to the top banner in the template and now
my template will save but will not update the html files in my site. There
is no error message, it just states that there were 8 files looked at but
none updated. I have recreated the site cache and redefined the site but no
dice. I have not renamed the file or the Templates folder. Can anyone help
me? I really do not want to have to design the whole site over and I do not
know how to fix the pages I already did. Any help would be great!

Laura
I have no idea.
I would suggest that you post a message in the DW NG's as they may know
more specifics about the software.
Though, did you make the banner editable??, I would think to make any
changes to that part of the template that it would need to be editable,
as otherwise DW locks any uneditable parts of the template, as far as I
know.
HTH.

Neredbojias

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Laura"

One of best reasons I have ever seen for writing markup by hand.

I second that. I took a look at the page, and while I think I have at
least a bit of expertise, I couldn't fix it. You'd have to know (-and
probably possess) Dreamweaver which means it's just more proprietary crap.

Laura

Laura said:
[...]

Thanks everyone for the help. I finally figured out what my problem was.
Somehow the template got messed up, not sure how, and it assigned the whole
template area as editable though it was not like that before. Since the
whole thing was editable none of my changes were being carried through to
the other pages. Now I am at a standstill though as I am faced with having
to redo my entire webpage because I cannot seem to apply a new template (the
corrected one) to the many pages I have already designed with the old
template. It gives me an error that something is unresolved and it does not
know where to place the content. Any ideas for this next step or do I have
to do them all over again from scratch?