Dreamweaver or Frontpage or Plain HTML

Alan J. Flavell

FYI, "user agents *should*..." only makes it desirable behavior, not
required.

The HTML spec cites the definitions in RFC2119, where it says:

SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

I'd say that's stronger than merely "desirable", wouldn't you?

To me it says "you'd better have a jolly convincing excuse if you
fail to comply with such a recommendation".

Jonathan N. Little

kchayka said:
FYI, "user agents *should*..." only makes it desirable behavior, not
required.

If you think about it <p></p> structurally make no sense, a paragraph
with *no* words. But we all know why it is usually is done, the author
wants more space above another block, which is a *style* issue. Should
be done

..moreheadroom { margin-top: 3em; }

kchayka

Alan said:
The HTML spec cites the definitions in RFC2119

To me it says "you'd better have a jolly convincing excuse if you
fail to comply with such a recommendation".

I spent numerous years both writing and reviewing software requirement
specifications, where "should" wasn't considered quite as strong as that. :)

It didn't occur to me that the word would have a different emphasis in
the HTML spec. Now I know!

kchayka

Jonathan said:
If you think about it <p></p> structurally make no sense,

I wasn't really promoting the use of empty paragraphs (I think they are
darned silly and just add bloat). I was really only debating the meaning
of the word "should".

MajorSetback

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, (e-mail address removed) quothed:

The latter. Html is simple. Css, which you'll also need, is fairly
simple although there are some issues regarding its efficacy and inter-
browser rendering.

You should be able to make a decent web page within 1-2 weeks. If you
apply yourself, you could be an "expert" in both well within a year.

I started by viewing the source of and "hacking" (-benignly) html email
then diddling with frontpage and being accordingly dissatisfied then
viewing the source of web pages I liked on the Net. The biggest flaw in
my learning-curve was not finding a newsgroup such as this one sooner to
get feedback on which procedures were right and which were not so right
as well as further methods and additional information not encountered in
my other efforts.

That sounds like the way to do it. I have taken that approach with
nroff in the past. Yikes, that probably ages me a bit. :)

Thanks very much,
Peter.

MajorSetback

Hello Peter,
No one needs to use a bloated (IMHO) webpage editor that costs big money
and adds all kinds of useless junk to your code usch as DW or Frontpage.
Try this link:
http://www.evrsoft.com, It's free for the taking and has four levels of
function, from newbie to pro...built in FTP also.

Just a suggestion, hope this helps, and good luck.
granpaw

Thanks very much. I'll try it out.

Peter.

MajorSetback

Rastus said:
Spend 80 dollars and get a proffessionally designed template if you can find
one to suit your needs.

Yes - we all know that webmasters are meant to make their own web pages,
only use notepad, only eat jolt and pizza and masturbate nightly with
cheesegraters etc, but it is just irresistably cost effective to use off the
shelf.

I tend to use project 7 templates simply because it would cost me waaaay
more than the template cost to do it myself. You only get so much time in a
day and some tasks pay better dividends than others.

Your time-is-money argument is a good one. However, there have also
been cases in the past where I lost a tremendous amount of time because
my boss was so anxious that I not redesign the wheel that I ended up
disassembling someone else's wheel, figuring out what logic was behind
their design, trying to work around flaws in their design and
eventually coming up with something almost as good as the wheel I could
have designed and built in a fraction of the time.

OK, a commercial package is probably not like that and I may end up
buying a package should taking the free way end up being the costly way
after all.

Thanks very much for your input,
Peter.

MajorSetback

David said:
If you are a very good computer programmer it is likely that you are
not a very good aesthetic designer so go to http://www.oswd.org/ and
pick one of the free, open source, site templates. Get with the trend
and use the advanced search to ensure that the site you pick uses CSS
and conforms to one of the XHTML standards.

Thanks very much. I will do that.
Now go to
<http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=dreamweaver>
and download the free thirty day trial. Use it to change the site you
downloaded to match your requirements. It includes a perfectly good
text editor and an FTP program which is the minimum requirement to set
up a web site. If, at the end of the thirty days, you find you have
only used the text editor and FTP program then choose something else.
If, like me, you like the way Dreamweaver can edit a site from the
code, pictorial, CSS or even File view buy it. You may even want to
buy it because it provides a one-click way to view your pages in each
of the multiple browsers you should have on your computer or because
it will reformat, validate and check the links on your pages.

Seems like a good compromise.

Thanks,
Peter.

MajorSetback

Paul said:
People are going to judge you software by the quality of your website.
You don't want a static website; you need something dynamic. A
bulletin board lets your users rave about your product, lets your
users suggest new uses for your product, and provide workarounds for
the, ahem, "features" we all work so hard to avoid. A blog lets your
users feel like they know you personally, and not only do many people
prefer to buy from a friend, even the ones that want to keep an arms'
length from their suppliers will be happy to believe that it's easy to
contact you for support. They worry about buying a product they can't
figure out how to use, with support in Mumbai, complete with such a
heavy accent they can't undestand.

Seems like an excellent idea. I envision that one of the stregths of
my business is that I will be working directly with the clients rather
than having a mydiad of levels of management having endless meeting
with other management and never having time for the customer. I guess
the only problem I anticipate is that competitors can also read the
blogs and get ideas, not only about suggested improvements but also
about the current product.

The rest of what you said is also very helpful and makes a lot of sense
with the caveate that the sowftare I will be producing with, at least
initially, be mainly targeted at research labs in hospitals and
universities. The users would hopefully be visiting the website and
participating in the blogs but the people with the purse strings would
probably not. My competitors would probably be mainly negotiating
prices (which would probably be quite steep) with the people with the
purse strings.
Good luck in your venture!

Thanks very much and thanks very much for your very helpful advice,
Peter.

Stewart Gordon

Blinky said:
How do you know it's not a 1997 product that's been moved to an .info
site?

It's neither of those.

It's in a site that was in a .com domain OUAT, and for which a .info
domain was later registered. Read this brief history of Dan's websites:

http://dan.tobias.name/aboutme/thissite.html

Stewart.

--

the 'group where everyone may benefit.