Dreamweaver Progress...

Montgomery BOO...URNS

Okay folks, so far, so good...

I have an ongoing process of building my own website using Dreamweaver and
so far I like the results. After getting further criticism from the likes
of this forum and other newsgroups, I have been able to build a "not so
heavy"/"no frills" website.

http://users.rcn.com/solitude439

Take a look and let me know what you guys think and maybe give me some
suggestions as to what and where I can go with the over all design for this
site. Dreamweaver expert criticism is always welcome.

Thanks again.

David Dorward

Montgomery said:
http://users.rcn.com/solitude439

Take a look and let me know what you guys think

Absolute positioning is a powerful tool, but its very easy to create
problems with it. If you don't know the height of an element, don't try to
position something below it:

http://dorward.me.uk/tmp/absolute-positioning.png (indexed to 25 colours to
keep the file size down, so there is some nasty dithering there too)

You have machine detectable syntax errors:
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://users.rcn.com/solitude439/

You abuse tables for layout:
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

You use pixels for font sizes:
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=UsingPixels

You use deprecated markup (<center>, <font>, bgcolor, text, etc). If its
marked with a D it should be avoided:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/elements.html
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/attributes.html

You have such nonsense as:
<b> </b> - a bold space
and
non-breaking space.

You have element ids which give no indication as to what the element is:
id="Layer2"
- a maintenance nightmare.

"This site is property of 439 Communications. All Rights Reserved. For More
Information, please check out our Privacy Policy."
- Why would I look in your privacy policy to find copyright information? And
why isn't there a link there?

"Return" - return to what?

Your "list of services" is a paragraph with line breaks between overly
capitalised job types - not a list.

Your affiliate logos are huge (in file size).

Rincewind

Absolute positioning is a powerful tool, but its very easy to create
problems with it. If you don't know the height of an element, don't try to
position something below it:
<snip>

And you seem to assume that everyone who views your page does it on a
17inch monitor. So it looks even worse on a smaller screen.

Travis Newbury

Montgomery said:
Okay folks, so far, so good...
I have an ongoing process of building my own website using Dreamweaver and
so far I like the results. After getting further criticism from the likes
of this forum and other newsgroups, I have been able to build a "not so
heavy"/"no frills" website.

Is that what you wanted or is that what you were told you should do by
this group?

You are right, no frills at all.
Take a look and let me know what you guys think and maybe give me some
suggestions as to what and where I can go with the over all design for this
site. Dreamweaver expert criticism is always welcome.

I personally like the "frills" so if I were a customer, I would see
this site, and say to myself "What a boring website. This compnay has
nothing to offer me..." And I would hit google to find your
competition.

Of course, there are those that would do the exact opposite too. So you
have to find what works best for you.

rf

Rincewind said:
And you seem to assume that everyone who views your page does it on a
17inch monitor. So it looks even worse on a smaller screen.

Er, what would the physical size of the monitor in inches have to do with
anything?

Surely a more appropriate dimension to consider would be the number of
pixels the browsers viewport occupies.

Hint: One of my computer "monitors" is ten feet wide. Yes, feet. 120 inches.
Three metres. However it is quite old and only shines 800x600 pixels on the
lounge room wall.

Message to the OP (if you audit alt.html as well as those other crossposted
groups which my ISP does not carry):

On the above monitor your navigation is below the fold and so may well be
missed by the casual visitor.

Resize *your* browser window to 800x600 and look. No navigaion, just a
couple of contact links. Ho hum... moves on to the next site, having not
bothered to scroll down.

Cheers
Richard.

cosmic foo

Montgomery BOO...URNS said:
Okay folks, so far, so good...

I have an ongoing process of building my own website using Dreamweaver and
so far I like the results. After getting further criticism from the likes
of this forum and other newsgroups, I have been able to build a "not so
heavy"/"no frills" website.

http://users.rcn.com/solitude439

Take a look and let me know what you guys think and maybe give me some
suggestions as to what and where I can go with the over all design for this
site. Dreamweaver expert criticism is always welcome.

Thanks again.

in one word, breathtaking.
Dreamweaver rules!

hyweljenkins

Rincewind said:
<snip>

And you seem to assume that everyone who views your page does it on a
17inch monitor. So it looks even worse on a smaller screen.

What's monitor size got to do with it? The problem is with screen
pixel dimension, not monitor size.

Montgomery BOO...URNS

rf said:
[...]

I have taken all of that into consideration. The monitor resolution is very
important when it comes to web design.

Thanks.

Montgomery BOO...URNS

Travis Newbury said:
Is that what you wanted or is that what you were told you should do by
this group?

You are right, no frills at all.

I personally like the "frills" so if I were a customer, I would see
this site, and say to myself "What a boring website. This compnay has
nothing to offer me..." And I would hit google to find your
competition.

Basically, this is my first website using Dreamweaver. Now, I have been
told that I should put Dreamweaver aside for the time being and concentrate
on coding using CSS which I will definitely take into consideration (I
definitely want to learn CSS coding) but I do want to use Dreamweaver
because you never know when a client will specifically tell me that they
want their site built using DW. It happens, I've been in the business, I
know!!
Of course, there are those that would do the exact opposite too. So you
have to find what works best for you.

The current projects that I'm working on were apportioned by a team of
people who took notice to my graphic style and how I put an artistic twist
to my design for websites, so I'm not settling on keeping this particular
web site the way it is by no means. I just wanted to get my feet wet using
DW and I wanted to see where I can go once I get a basic page up and
running.

Thanks for all of your input. I will take it all with me.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Montgomery BOO...URNS quothed:
I have taken all of that into consideration. The monitor resolution is very
important when it comes to web design.

It shouldn't be.

rf

Montgomery said:
I have taken all of that into consideration. The monitor resolution is very
important when it comes to web design.

If resolution is so important then why is your menu not visible on my
800x600 monitor unless I scroll down?

And when I *do* scroll down, why is it all the way over to the right (unlike
the rest of the content), in fact extending outside the right of the
viewport causing an unneeded horizontal scrollbar?

<aside>
Oh my. I just looked inside one of your pages. You claim (in the doctype) to
be XHTML strict. If so then why is all that deprecated stuff in there? Did
you let dreamweaver produce that? You really should ditch all that and use
CSS for presentational issues.
</aside>

Cheers
Richard.

Travis Newbury

Montgomery said:
Basically, this is my first website using Dreamweaver. Now, I have been
told that I should put Dreamweaver aside for the time being and concentrate
on coding using CSS which I will definitely take into consideration (I
definitely want to learn CSS coding) but I do want to use Dreamweaver
because you never know when a client will specifically tell me that they
want their site built using DW. It happens, I've been in the business, I
know!!

Why would they care that the site is built with Dreamweaver? How would
they even know unless you tell them.

I think the important thing to remember is Dreamweaver is an awesome
tool for developing websites. But without a knopwledge of HTML and
CSS, it is a dangerous tool. It will let you do thing that you
probalby should not do. And unless you know what the code does, that
can get you into some trouble.

web_design

David Dorward said:
Montgomery BOO...URNS wrote:

You have such nonsense as:
<b> </b> - a bold space
and
non-breaking space.

That is Dreamweaver WYSIWYG generated...

Barbara de Zoete

That is Dreamweaver WYSIWYG generated...

So? Author should take it out before uploading. Using Dreamweaver is not the
best of ideas if the author is not capable of correcting the code by hand.

Big Bill

So? Author should take it out before uploading. Using Dreamweaver is not the
best of ideas if the author is not capable of correcting the code by hand.

Everybody breathe for Barbara!

BB