    VS. Am I safe to do that?

    Thanks,
    Mickey
    Mickey, Sep 16, 2008

  2. Mickey

    Ken Fine Guest

    Hi, there Mickey. I started on DW UltraDev (whose server-side functionality
    was eventually absorbed into DW.)

    If you are going to work in/learn ASP.NET, my general advice is to use and
    learn Visual Studio. VS.NET sort of crushes DW in terms of being a
    functional and productive IDE, except for one notable exception that I will
    detail below.

    If you use DW to do minor updates to ASCX/ASPX pages, it should not cause
    harm. If you use DW to edit .CS codebehind files, this too will work, but it
    is somewhat foolish to do so. IDE has rich intellisense capabilities you
    will learn to know and love, and it will make you very powerful.

    The biggest issue I have with VS.NET as an IDE, honestly, is that for
    small-scale website work where you're just bashing in a few changes and
    updating a page or code, there is not a simple and easy key binding to
    upload the change. With Dreamweaver, you simply hit "Control-Shift-U" and
    it's uploaded. VS.NET doesn't have quite the same notion of "sites" that DW
    does, and you either have to copy the file yourself or go through the kludge
    of the VS.NET website tool. Really, really annoying. A program manager I met
    at Tech Ed last summer hinted that there will be major improvements to the
    VS.NET deployment in its next version but offered no specifics. I hope
    something like this gets put in as an option. VS.NET may not have been
    developed as a low-skill website editor but that's how many are using it
    these days.

    In all other ways Visual Studio is really quite an awesome tool and I think
    you will enjoy working with it.

    Cheers,
    -KF

    Ken Fine, Sep 17, 2008

  3. Mickey

    Mickey Guest

    Thanks for your thorough answer, Ken! Much appreciated. I look forward to
    learning my way around VS. I'll be taking my first real plunge today so I'll
    probably be back with more questions. :)

    Mickey

    Mickey, Sep 17, 2008
  4. Not really. What people are probably talking about is the fact that
    Dreamweaver adds references to its own libraries when you do certain actions
    in Dreamweaver.

    I was a huge Dreamweaver advocate when MS offered FrontPage. I am now using
    Expression Web for design. This shift was more because of EW's CSS features,
    which outshine Dreamweaver. In either case, I used Visual Studio for coding
    and the other tool for design (DW or EW).

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 17, 2008