    Towner Guest

    Which is better for HTML and PHP?

    Thanks,

    Towner, Nov 2, 2006

  2. Towner

    ADP-520 Guest

    hand coding bro, and try using Zend Studio as editor...

    ADP-520, Nov 2, 2006

  3. Towner

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Towner wrote:
    > Which is better for HTML and PHP?

    Doing it yourself gives you the possibility to follow the w3c guidelines and
    make your pages to work well on most browsers, while WYSIWYG-tools usually
    generates broken HTML and uses jscript instead of javascript.

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Nov 2, 2006
  4. Towner

    CRON Guest

    I use dreamweaver for the heavy work and then just jump to code view
    for particulars that need close attention. It works perfectly: The
    latest version of dreamweaver is a good boy and doesn't put in as much
    irrelevant crap in the code.
    Hope that helps
    CiarĂ¡n

    CRON, Nov 2, 2006
  5. Towner

    Koncept Guest

    In article <lfo2h.79543$>, Towner
    <> wrote:

    > Which is better for HTML and PHP?
    >
    > Thanks,

    DW massacres code and has absolutely no respect for indentation. If you
    are not confident in hand coding, you can always pipe your results
    through *tidy* to clean up the code. I would recommend doing your best
    to attempt to learn how to hand code. There are a lot of editors on the
    market which are snippet based and allow for auto-completion of
    elements, which can really cut down the amount of keystrokes you have
    to perform. On the Macintosh platform, there is an amazing editor
    called Textmate (macromates.com) which is incredible to work with!

    --
    Koncept <<
    "The snake that cannot shed its skin perishes. So do the spirits who are

    Koncept, Nov 2, 2006
  6. Towner

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Towner wrote:
    >> Which is better for HTML and PHP?

    > Doing it yourself gives you the possibility to follow the w3c guidelines
    > and make your pages to work well on most browsers, while WYSIWYG-tools
    > usually generates broken HTML and uses jscript instead of javascript.

    Totally untrue, at least in the case of (X)HTML. Just a few minutes in
    the Preferences, and Dreamweaver can be set to produce (X)HTML as clean
    and pristine as hand-coding.

    I agree, however, that CSS and Javascript should not be left to the editor.

    Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/

    Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
    the dreams...

    Kevin Scholl, Nov 3, 2006
  7. Towner

    Adam Guest

    On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 14:39:34 -0500, Koncept wrote:

    >In article <lfo2h.79543$>, Towner
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Which is better for HTML and PHP?
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    >DW massacres code and has absolutely no respect for indentation.

    My DW handles indents really well. Have you got the preferences set to
    respect tabs or spaces?

    To the original poster - if you already have DW, there's no harm in
    using it *strictly* in code view. I've used it like this for years -
    can't even remember what design view (or worse - live data view) looks
    like.

    The site set-up functions are good - as are the file manangement ones.
    Search and replace is pretty flexible and the "collapse code" feature
    also works well - preserving collapsed code over saves.

    I've tried a fair few PHP IDEs but end up ignoring most of the wizards
    etc. anyway - just coding by hand. Debugging can be good, but I seem
    to always have problems getting sensible output when I'm including
    files etc.

    If you *haven't* got DW already - don't bother buying it.

    Adam.

    Adam, Nov 3, 2006