    available, and not to worry about the right column.

    How can I do this?

    Thanks very much
    Tayo, Sep 23, 2009

  2. Tayo

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Tayo <> wrote:

    > http://annabel-langbein.com/onlineACC.html
    >
    > Currently I have a left column div, center div and a right column div.
    > However, these are inside a "content" div.
    >
    > I want to put sort of a right hand menu in the right column, but
    > currently if I load all the menu into it it is too high and so the
    > content column or left column won't start again until the bottom of
    > the right column (confusing sounding? I think so!)
    >
    > So I somehow need to have the right column on the right and out of the
    > way, and so the left and center column uses the rest of the space
    > available, and not to worry about the right column.
    >
    > How can I do this?

    Before doing anything about this, have a look at what happens when a
    user has a text size you were not expecting. *Many* people would have it
    at a size that makes your whole menu completely disappear. You can see
    this for your self. Look in Firefox or Safari and go to the View menu
    and choose a bigger text size.

    Next, go to

    <http://validator.w3.org/>

    and fix up the HTML mistakes reported there.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 23, 2009

  3. Tayo

    rf Guest

    "Tayo" <> wrote in message
    > http://annabel-langbein.com/onlineACC.html
    >
    > Currently I have a left column div, center div and a right column div.
    > However, these are inside a "content" div.
    >
    > I want to put sort of a right hand menu in the right column, but
    > currently if I load all the menu into it it is too high and so the
    > content column or left column won't start again until the bottom of
    > the right column (confusing sounding? I think so!)
    >
    > So I somehow need to have the right column on the right and out of the
    > way, and so the left and center column uses the rest of the space
    > available, and not to worry about the right column.
    >
    > How can I do this?

    Don't know. Don't see what the results are of what you are trying to do.

    Hint: Put the menu in there so *we* can see what is going wrong. That way we
    won't be confused.

    Better yet, put up two copies of the site, one with the menu and one
    without.

    Other things...

    Why are you writing XHTML and then serving it up to the browser as text/html
    so the browser will think it is HTML with errors?

    Why do you have pictures of text instead of the real text? Search engines
    don't read pictures of text.

    You seem to believe that I prefer a font size three quarters of my
    favourite, which brings us to:
    You do know that with even one click on my mouse wheel to enlarge my font
    size your navigation disappears? Gone. White text word-wrapped onto a white
    background. It does sort of re-appear in peices on :hover though :)
    rf, Sep 23, 2009
  4. Tayo

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode,
    <>, the
    lovely and talented Tayo broadcast on alt.html:

    > http://annabel-langbein.com/onlineACC.html

    > Currently I have a left column div, center div and a right column div.
    > However, these are inside a "content" div.

    > I want to put sort of a right hand menu in the right column, but
    > currently if I load all the menu into it it is too high and so the
    > content column or left column won't start again until the bottom of
    > the right column (confusing sounding? I think so!)

    > So I somehow need to have the right column on the right and out of the
    > way, and so the left and center column uses the rest of the space
    > available, and not to worry about the right column.

    > How can I do this?

    Short answer: give the center column superwide right and left margins,
    float the right and left columns into the respective superwide margin.
    If you want to give the side columns distinctive background colors that
    go "all the way down," use superwide borders instead. It is a little more
    complicated if you want "source ordering" (content column on top in the
    HTML and non-styles browsers).

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> September 5867, 1993
    245 days since Rick Warren prayed over Bush's third term.
    Lars Eighner, Sep 23, 2009
  5. Tayo

    Tayo Guest

    Cheers for the reply guys.

    First of all, I didn't design or make the site, I'm working with what
    is already there. Apparently they're getting a new site (completely
    made in flash HA!) shortly so I'm not going to change the menu and the
    rest of the site as it's not what I have been asked to do.

    Lars..I don't really understand what you're saying..Could you be a bit
    more specific?

    And rf - the menu is in there, it's those images on the right hand
    side , that's the "menu" I'm talking about. but currently the layout
    goes

    Container > Main> content > left /left, center /center, right /right /
    content
    but then there is an image which goes across the left and center
    columns so I have to close it off and start a new content div but that
    can't start until all the right hand column is finished from the
    previous.

    So I basically want a right hand column that's independent of the left
    & center. Is this possible?

    Thanks for the hepl so far guys, and yes sorry the site is rough as
    guts.
    Tayo, Sep 23, 2009
  6. Tayo

    rf Guest

    "Tayo" <> wrote in message
    > Cheers for the reply guys.
    >
    > First of all, I didn't design or make the site, I'm working with what
    > is already there. Apparently they're getting a new site (completely
    > made in flash HA!)

    Then I'm out of here. I abhore flash sites. Never go back again.

    > And rf - the menu is in there, it's those images on the right hand
    > side , that's the "menu" I'm talking about. but currently the layout
    > goes

    Oh.

    That's not a menu, it's some pictures. Nothing is a link. That is what may
    have "confused" me :)

    Just had another look.

    You have some stuff in a div class="double-ACC" which is float: left. Then
    you have a div with class=content which has clear: both. So that last div is
    below anything in the first div.

    Your "menu" div is within this latter div. Where do you think it will start?
    Where the latter div starts of course, before the, er, other one.

    Move your "menu" div right up somewhere near the top and float: right it
    there.

    But, before you do this, install Firefox and then install Firebug. This
    allows you to inspect each and every element on the page and it even puts a
    pretty blue wash over the one that you are hovering over in in firebugs
    representation of the DOM. Right bloody handy IMHO and this is how, in about
    thirty seven seconds, I determined all of the above, and no, I did not look
    at your source code again.

    You might also ask dorayme prettily for a link to her floathouse thing. I
    can't recall the URL at the moment but it's good stuff. Perhaps dorayme will
    oblige :)
    rf, Sep 23, 2009
  7. Tayo

    dorayme Guest

    In article <C8num.42536$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > floathouse thing. I
    > can't recall the URL at the moment but it's good stuff. Perhaps dorayme will
    > oblige

    Thank you, rf. Kind of you to say.

    <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 23, 2009
  8. Tayo

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode,
    <>,
    the lovely and talented Tayo
    broadcast on alt.html:

    > Cheers for the reply guys.

    > First of all, I didn't design or make the site, I'm working with what
    > is already there. Apparently they're getting a new site (completely
    > made in flash HA!) shortly so I'm not going to change the menu and the
    > rest of the site as it's not what I have been asked to do.

    > Lars..I don't really understand what you're saying..Could you be a bit
    > more specific?

    What you really have here is two-columns with the left of the two columns
    having two columns. <http://larseighner.com/EIGHNER/> has a similar layout,
    although I have not done the hacks for IE, so possibly it only works in
    Firefox or similar and the right column steals its space from both padding
    and margins (so it hangs over the left column a bit). I suggest you use
    only margin, since you do not need this effect.

    You have two banners (mastheads). One goes accross the whole page and one
    goes across only the left column (which is split into two below it). You
    need a container DIV that includes your left columns banner, left columns
    and right column. It needs a right margin that is the width of your
    pictures for the right column, plus some padding. Then you need to float
    your right column right with a negative right margin equal to the right
    margin you left for it. The score between the left columns banner is, I
    suppose created by a border. You may have to adjust the margin to account
    for that because if there is even 1px overlap, the design will break.

    There are three things you can steal space from to make room for a floated
    column: margin, padding, and border. If you want your floated column to
    have its own background color "all the way to the bottom" you have to use
    border. You can get the hang-over effect by using a combination of padding
    and margins with a transparent background for your floated column. But when
    it is all on white (or all some other color) keep it simple by just using
    margins. The basic strategy is the same: create the space and float with a
    negative margin.

    As others have suggested, you must have valid markup, which you do not.
    You did not close some head elements properly for XHTML. Those elements
    don't show, but because they make the document invalid they may throw
    browsers into quirks mode with unpredictable results. There is really no
    reason for this document to be XHTML, but it ought to be one or the other
    with the proper doctype.

    Lars Eighner, Sep 23, 2009
  9. Tayo

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Tayo" <> wrote in message
    > http://annabel-langbein.com/onlineACC.html
    >
    > Currently I have a left column div, center div and a right column div.
    > However, these are inside a "content" div.
    >
    > I want to put sort of a right hand menu in the right column, but
    > currently if I load all the menu into it it is too high and so the
    > content column or left column won't start again until the bottom of
    > the right column (confusing sounding? I think so!)
    >
    > So I somehow need to have the right column on the right and out of the
    > way, and so the left and center column uses the rest of the space
    > available, and not to worry about the right column.
    >
    > How can I do this?
    >
    > Thanks very much

    It's hacky but given how dirty the rest of the site is, who cares, it works
    :)

    ..rightCol-ACC {
    margin-top: -320px;
    }
    Nik Coughlin, Sep 23, 2009
  10. Tayo

    Tayo Guest

    Thanks again Lars & rf.

    I had the right column floated right but only just realised the
    content column was clear: both

    Thanks again.
    Tayo, Sep 23, 2009