Driving win32 GUIs with Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Andrew McLean, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. I have a requirement to drive a Windows GUI program from a Python
    Script. The program was originally a DOS program written in Turbo
    Pascal, and was recently translated to Delphi. I don't think it exposes
    an OLE or other automation interface. I don't have access to the source.

    A bit of Googling turned up some blog entries, which look useful:

    http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/archives/000652.html

    Before ploughing ahead I wanted to check whether any useful Python tools
    are available now, which weren't when the articles above were written.

    While not Python related, The "AutoIT Windows Spy" I found here:

    http://www.hiddensoft.com/AutoIt/

    looks like it will be useful.

    Any pointers gratefully received.

    Regards,

    Andrew McLean

    Andrew McLean, Dec 19, 2004

  2. Andrew McLean wrote:

    >I have a requirement to drive a Windows GUI program from a Python Script. The program was
    >originally a DOS program written in Turbo Pascal, and was recently translated to Delphi. I don't
    >think it exposes an OLE or other automation interface. I don't have access to the source.
    >
    > A bit of Googling turned up some blog entries, which look useful:
    >
    > http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/archives/000652.html
    >
    > Before ploughing ahead I wanted to check whether any useful Python tools are available now, which
    > weren't when the articles above were written.

    watsup is winGuiAuto plus lots of other stuff (focused on testing):

    http://www.tizmoi.net/watsup/intro.html

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Dec 19, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    Fredrik Lundh <> writes
    >Andrew McLean wrote:
    >
    >>I have a requirement to drive a Windows GUI program from a Python
    >>Script. The program was originally a DOS program written in Turbo
    >>Pascal, and was recently translated to Delphi. I don't think it
    >>exposes an OLE or other automation interface. I don't have access to
    >>the source.
    >>
    >> A bit of Googling turned up some blog entries, which look useful:
    >>
    >> http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/archives/000652.html
    >>
    >> Before ploughing ahead I wanted to check whether any useful Python
    >>tools are available now, which weren't when the articles above were
    >>written.

    >watsup is winGuiAuto plus lots of other stuff (focused on testing):
    >
    > http://www.tizmoi.net/watsup/intro.html
    >
    ></F>

    Excellent. That look like just the sort of thing I was looking for.

    --
    Andrew McLean

    Andrew McLean, Dec 20, 2004