drop down list - auto post back - please wait

C10B

hi all,

I have 3 drop down lists.
When any of them changes there is an auto postback to do some server
stuff.
It is not always obvious (as a user) that a page reload has been
started, and you can start selecting other options and then suddenly
the page refreshes.

It would be great to show "please wait" when the postback is
requested.
Maybe some clientside code to show the message just prior to the page
reload.

Has anyone mastered this?

Has anyone got a better idea?

thanks

Tim

David Wier

Have you looked into Ajax for ASP.Net?
There are great possibilities for this using Ajax

C10B

I might do it in ajax. I have downloaded atlas already.
I was hoping for a quick win on this job and learn ajax later.
thanks.

David Wier

Just pop a script manager on your page
then, surround your DDLs with an Update Panel
Then, outside the Update panel, wherever you want it to show on the page,
pop in an Update Progress control - inside that - type in any 'Wat' text you
want, and/or add an animated GIF file to it

That's pretty much it - -

David Wier

ScriptManager, as well as the others, is an AJAX component, that comes in
when you install AJAX