Drop down menu hides behind flash object?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Byron, Jul 15, 2005.

  1. Byron

    Byron Guest

    Hey,

    I just noticed a little quirk in two different javascript drop-down
    menus on two different sites:

    On each site, the part of the menu that expands gets hidden behind flash
    objects on the page.

    Here's an example:

    http://www.taedisonhs.org/success/studentWorks.asp

    The menu is at the top of the page.

    Is this a fact of life, or can it be fixed?

    Thanks.

    Byron, Jul 15, 2005

  2. Byron wrote:

    > On each site, the part of the menu that expands gets hidden behind flash
    > objects on the page.

    > Is this a fact of life, or can it be fixed?

    Plugin contents is usually rendered on top of normal content but for
    Flash on the Windows platform (at least there with IE, recent Mozilla
    and recent Opera) you can set
    <embed wmode="transparent"
    src="whatever.swf">
    and then CSS z-index works as normal on the embed and other elements in
    the page. But that setting affects Flash drawing performance, it
    deteriorates.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/