    Cats
    =>Kittens

    , Oct 26, 2007

  2. BootNic Guest

    wrote: news:1193374270.842641.142920
    @d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

    > So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
    > that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
    > works and am hoping for help... TIA
    >
    > People
    > Dogs
    > Cats
    > =>Kittens

        Kittens

    --
    BootNic Friday October 26, 2007 1:57 AM
    A conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking.

    BootNic, Oct 26, 2007

  3. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
    > that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
    > works and am hoping for help... TIA
    >
    > People
    > Dogs
    > Cats
    > =>Kittens

    It depends on what the setup is. If the Kittens is in say a div,
    then a left margin or a left padding might be appropriate. If it
    is a list item, then there is also these possibilities.

    Have I jumped into the middle of a thread here? Is there a url?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 26, 2007
  4. Scripsit BootNic:

    >> So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with
    >> one that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found
    >> anything that works and am hoping for help... TIA
    >>
    >> People
    >> Dogs
    >> Cats
    >> =>Kittens

    > &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Kittens

    No, that wouldn't do it. It does not create "=" and ">". This would:

    &nbsp;=>Kittens

    On the other hand, the OP is apparently trying to generate a navigational
    dropdown menu. That's a wrong approach. "Links want to be links."

    Followups trimmed.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 26, 2007
  5. Ben C Guest

    On 2007-10-26, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    ><>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
    >> that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
    >> works and am hoping for help... TIA
    >>
    >> People
    >> Dogs
    >> Cats
    >> =>Kittens

    > It depends on what the setup is. If the Kittens is in say a div,
    > then a left margin or a left padding might be appropriate. If it
    > is a list item, then there is also these possibilities.

    No-one seems to have mentioned text-indent yet.

    .selected { text-indent: 1em; }
    .selected:before { content: "=>"; }

    Might not work in IE.

    Ben C, Oct 26, 2007
  6. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben C <> wrote:

    > On 2007-10-26, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > ><>,
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
    > >> that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
    > >> works and am hoping for help... TIA
    > >>
    > >> People
    > >> Dogs
    > >> Cats
    > >> =>Kittens

    > > It depends on what the setup is. If the Kittens is in say a div,
    > > then a left margin or a left padding might be appropriate. If it
    > > is a list item, then there is also these possibilities.

    > No-one seems to have mentioned text-indent yet.
    >
    > .selected { text-indent: 1em; }
    > .selected:before { content: "=>"; }

    O yeah!

    > Might not work in IE.

    It plays tricks (or should I say "played") tricks in MacIE. There
    is this about WinIE, it may be of interest:

    http://www.tanfa.co.uk/css/articles/pure-css-popups-bug.asp

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 26, 2007

    On Oct 25, 10:58 pm, BootNic <> wrote:
    > wrote: news:1193374270.842641.142920
    >
    > @d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
    > > that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
    > > works and am hoping for help... TIA

    > > People
    > > Dogs
    > > Cats
    > > =>Kittens

    > &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Kittens
    >
    > --
    > BootNic Friday October 26, 2007 1:57 AM
    > A conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking.
    > *Arthur Bloch*

    Hey cool - works GREAT. Thank you very much and thanks to everyone
    else who replied. :)

    , Oct 26, 2007

    On Oct 26, 1:06 am, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > Scripsit BootNic:
    >
    > >> So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with
    > >> one that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found
    > >> anything that works and am hoping for help... TIA

    > >> People
    > >> Dogs
    > >> Cats
    > >> =>Kittens

    > > &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Kittens

    > No, that wouldn't do it. It does not create "=" and ">". This would:
    >
    > &nbsp;=>Kittens
    >
    > On the other hand, the OP is apparently trying to generate a navigational
    > dropdown menu. That's a wrong approach. "Links want to be links."
    >
    > Followups trimmed.
    >
    > --
    > Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Good catch - thanks. :)

    , Oct 26, 2007
  9. wrote:
    > So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
    > that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
    > works and am hoping for help... TIA
    >
    > People
    > Dogs
    > Cats
    > =>Kittens

    Are you looking for OPTGROUP?

    <select>
    <optgroup label="People">
    <option label="Men" value="men">Men</option>
    <option label="Women" value="women">Women</option>
    <option label="Children" value="children">Children</option>
    </optgroup>
    <optgroup label="Dogs">
    <option label="Dogs" value="dogs">Dogs</option>
    <option label="Bitches" value="bitches">Bitchs</option>
    <option label="Puppies" value="puppies">Puppies</option>
    </optgroup>
    <optgroup label="Cats">
    <option label="Toms" value="toms">Toms</option>
    <option label="Queens" value="queens">Queens</option>
    <option label=Kittens" value="kittens">Kittens</option>
    </optgroup>
    </select

    Of course whether or not the list is indented is up to the UA.

    Yes you can style the OPTION element if you are willing to accept that
    IE users will not see the indent...

    option.sub { padding-left: 1.5em; }

    <select>
    <option>People</option>
    <option>Dogs</option>
    <option>Cats</option>
    <option class="sub">Kittens</option>
    </select>

    Follow ups trimmed to ciwah and alt.html, topic doesn't have anything to
    do with PHP...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan