Drop down menu text

jcage

So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
works and am hoping for help... TIA

People
Dogs
Cats
=>Kittens

BootNic

(e-mail address removed) wrote: @d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:
So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
works and am hoping for help... TIA

People
Dogs
Cats
=>Kittens

    Kittens

dorayme

So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
works and am hoping for help... TIA

People
Dogs
Cats
=>Kittens

It depends on what the setup is. If the Kittens is in say a div,
then a left margin or a left padding might be appropriate. If it
is a list item, then there is also these possibilities.

Have I jumped into the middle of a thread here? Is there a url?

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit BootNic:
    Kittens

No, that wouldn't do it. It does not create "=" and ">". This would:

 =>Kittens

On the other hand, the OP is apparently trying to generate a navigational
dropdown menu. That's a wrong approach. "Links want to be links."

Followups trimmed.

Ben C

It depends on what the setup is. If the Kittens is in say a div,
then a left margin or a left padding might be appropriate. If it
is a list item, then there is also these possibilities.

No-one seems to have mentioned text-indent yet.

.selected { text-indent: 1em; }
.selected:before { content: "=>"; }

Might not work in IE.

jcage

(e-mail address removed) wrote:
@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

    Kittens

Hey cool - works GREAT. Thank you very much and thanks to everyone
else who replied. :)

jcage

Scripsit BootNic:

No, that wouldn't do it. It does not create "=" and ">". This would:

 =>Kittens

On the other hand, the OP is apparently trying to generate a navigational
dropdown menu. That's a wrong approach. "Links want to be links."

Followups trimmed.

Good catch - thanks. :)

Jonathan N. Little

So if you wanted to have the following in your drop down menu with one
that was indented, how might you do it? I haven't found anything that
works and am hoping for help... TIA

People
Dogs
Cats
=>Kittens
Are you looking for OPTGROUP?

<select>
<optgroup label="People">
<option label="Men" value="men">Men</option>
<option label="Women" value="women">Women</option>
<option label="Children" value="children">Children</option>
</optgroup>
<optgroup label="Dogs">
<option label="Dogs" value="dogs">Dogs</option>
<option label="Bitches" value="bitches">Bitchs</option>
<option label="Puppies" value="puppies">Puppies</option>
</optgroup>
<optgroup label="Cats">
<option label="Toms" value="toms">Toms</option>
<option label="Queens" value="queens">Queens</option>
<option label=Kittens" value="kittens">Kittens</option>
</optgroup>
</select

Of course whether or not the list is indented is up to the UA.

Yes you can style the OPTION element if you are willing to accept that
IE users will not see the indent...

option.sub { padding-left: 1.5em; }

<select>
<option>People</option>
<option>Dogs</option>
<option>Cats</option>
<option class="sub">Kittens</option>
</select>

Follow ups trimmed to ciwah and alt.html, topic doesn't have anything to
do with PHP...