Drop down menus and frames

Patrick Murray

I am confused here. I am trying to build a page with frames where a
click on the "submit" botton connected to a drop down menu will bring a
corresponding page in the frame below it. Here is the HTML code for the
drop-down frame:
<BODY>

<P><FONT face="Balloon" size="5">There are four main areas of support-
general,
Hardware, software and network. </FONT></P>
<FORM method="POST">
<P><SELECT size="1" name="D1">
<OPTION value="//general.html">General</OPTION>
<OPTION value="//hardware.html">Hardware</OPTION>
<OPTION value="//software.html">Software</OPTION>
<OPTION value="//network.html">Network</OPTION>
<OPTION selected>Choose one for links in that genre</OPTION>
</SELECT><INPUT type="submit" value="Submit" name="B1"></P>
</FORM>

</BODY>

All files are on the same drive. What am I doing wrong?

TIA

David Dorward

Patrick said:
I am confused here. I am trying to build a page with frames

Oh dear
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

Oh dear. http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/navmenu.html
Here is the HTML code for the
drop-down frame:
<BODY>

<P><FONT face="Balloon" size="5">There are four main areas of support-
general,
Hardware, software and network. </FONT></P>

The said:
<FORM method="POST">

Where is the action attribute?
All files are on the same drive. What am I doing wrong?

Using frames, using a select element as a menu, and not including any code
whatsoever to handle the form submission.

Mitja

Patrick Murray said:
[...]

A lot; the concept itself is wrong. If you search for what you want on
Google, I'm sure you will find pre-made examples out there waiting for you.
But they all involve javascript, so using a simple list of links (maybe in
combination with some gracefully degradable DHTML, i.e. combination of HTML
and javascript) is by far more recommended.

Mitja

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Patrick Murray:
I am confused here. I am trying to build a page with frames where a
click on the "submit" botton connected to a drop down menu will bring a
corresponding page in the frame below it. Here is the HTML code for the
drop-down frame:

I'll agree with the confusion. Why the frames? Bad Idea.
<BODY>

<P><FONT face="Balloon" size="5">There are four main areas of support-
general,
Hardware, software and network. </FONT></P>
<FORM method="POST">
<P><SELECT size="1" name="D1">
<OPTION value="//general.html">General</OPTION>
<OPTION value="//hardware.html">Hardware</OPTION>
<OPTION value="//software.html">Software</OPTION>
<OPTION value="//network.html">Network</OPTION>
<OPTION selected>Choose one for links in that genre</OPTION>
</SELECT><INPUT type="submit" value="Submit" name="B1"></P>
</FORM>

</BODY>
All files are on the same drive. What am I doing wrong?

Additionally:

I've never seen the double-slash used before. If the other pages are
in the same directory, use no slashes.

I do not have a "Balloon" font. What is my browser suppose to show?

Hywel

[...]

For starters, you don't have a form handler. Without that, nothing's
going to happen. Your document may just submit to itself, or do
nothing.

Jeff Thies

Mitja said:
A lot; the concept itself is wrong. If you search for what you want on
Google, I'm sure you will find pre-made examples out there waiting for
you.

Really simple to do with a server script. Just redirect.

When you add the action to your form you'll want to set a target also for
that frame. And ditch the double slashes.

Jeff