Dropdown list cannot have multiple items selected!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff Tolman, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Jeff Tolman

    Jeff Tolman Guest

    I'm getting a Server Error page with a "Dropdown list cannot have multiple
    items selected" error. First off, my page doesn't even HAVE a dropdownlist
    on it. Secondly, there is no Source file listed on the error page, so I'm
    not even sure where to look for the problem. The code appears to run just
    fine without exceptions all the way through the PreRender Event routine, but
    somehow this error appears. Any suggestions?

    Here is the text from the error page:

    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: A DropDownList cannot have
    multiple items selected.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [HttpException (0x80004005): A DropDownList cannot have multiple items
    selected.]
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList.RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter
    writer)
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter
    writer)
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

    All answers are welcome!

    Thanks!

    Jeff Tolman
    E&M Electric
    Jeff Tolman, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Jeff,

    What that error is usually really telling us is that you cannot have one
    ListItem object existing in multiple lists. It is, however, perplexing
    that you say you have no dropdowns on any pages.

    When do you see this error? Can you attach your .aspx and code-behind?

    Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
    ASP.NET
    Developer Support

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Jan 7, 2004