Dropdownlist Autopostback not working

Guest

I am using ASP.NET 2.0. I have 2 dropdownlists in my page. One holds the list
of all the countries and other holds the list of all States. When the user
selects the country as United States, I want the second dropdownlist to show
all the states in US, otherwise I want the state dropdown to be disabled. For
this, I set the Autopostback property of country dropdown to true. I
double-clicked on the selected index changed event in the properties and
wrote the code to display the appropriate states in the state dropdownlist.
But whenever I change the selection in the country dropdown, nothing happens.
I put a debug point in the selectedindexchanged event, but it doesnt go there
at all. The EnableViewState of the country dropdown is also true.

I created a new project and tested this with a simple web page. It still
doesn't work!!

Is there any setting other than Autopostback that I need to set?

Thanks in advance for your help.