DropDownList having no selected value "on occasion", typically during high load times

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by jhonz@etsmail.com, Jun 24, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have come across a strange circumstance. I have user controls with
    dropdownlists that interact fine during times where the web server has
    minimal load. But once things pick up and postbacks take longer, my
    code behind will error out since I expect
    "ddlSample.SelectedItem.Value" to have a value for a control that
    exist. But sometimes it is set to "Nothing". I do think this comes
    about when the user is a 'quick clicker' and clicks ahead of the
    postback before it fully is rendered.

    The ddl control isn't generated on the fly, it is a static control that
    is sometimes not visible or within a panel that is not visible.

    I am quite perplexed. I thought an object would always be accessible
    and the load of the server or delay of the postbacks would not make a
    difference.

    Not sure where to start to fix this. I am just doing my best to
    compensate for the chance that a dropdownlist won't have a selected
    value. But this still leaves me guessing on what value really was
    selected.

    Jeff
    , Jun 24, 2005