DropDownList quickie

What I want is to limit the number of options displayed in the drop down
part of a dropdownlist and provide a scroll bar to view the hidden options,
at present this seems to be done by the 'system', IE?, when the drop down
part hits the screen top or bottom.

eg if there are 25 options in the control how do I show the user 8 and let
them scroll to see the rest?

Am I being thick? Is this obvious?

Arth