dropdownlist selectedindexchanged event not firing.. please help.

DesignerX

I have a dynamically created composite server control.

The composite control contains a dropdownlist, a validator and a label.

I have the dropdownlist AutoPostBack set to true and have defined a handler
for the SelectedIndexChanged event.

The server control is instantiated upon every request.

It currently adds 2 items to the dropdownlist from the database.

The dropdownlist selected value is preserved across postbacks, but the event
is only fired when the 2nd item in the list is selected... I'm lost.. why
not the first?

Thanks in advance,
Stan

Darrin J Olson

Is it because the SelectedIndex to begin with is 0? So if you pick the first
item, the SelectedIndex doesn't change and the event won't fire. Can you set
the SelectedIndex to -1 when you load the dropdown?

I had the same problem once and that is how I got around it.

-Darrin

Bob Carsto

I have the same problem. Even when I preset to select index to 2,3,4 etc
when rendering the page. Was your problem related to the fact the the select
index was initialzied to 0? Have you found a solution?