dropdownlist user control not functioning propetly

surveyor04

hello -
new to aspx development. I have created a few dropdownlist controls -
simply a dropdownlist bound to data in an ascx file - to use on several
pages of a site. In the .ascx code-behind, I set default values based on
existing criteria in the database, but the user should be able to change
these values. I don't have any code in PreRender or CreateChildControl
methods, which I've just learned about. The control is added by
whichever default mechanism ASP.NET uses. The problem I have is that
the updated values of these controls are lost when the user clicks the
submit button on the form. Text values in textboxes update ok, but the
dropdownlists never submit the updated selectedValue. I have public
properties to get and set these values, but they aren't working.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I've tried to debug this for
sometime, and am about to simply toss the user control and code the
dropdowns on each page they are needed.

Thanks!