dsl/library for text interaction?

James Moore

I've been doing a fair amount of work with Asterisk lately. It's got a
command-line interface that looks quite a bit like SMTP (and like lots of
other text-based send-a-line-and-get-a-response protocols).

Seems like there should be a generic library to build interfaces for these
sorts of things - is there? Some sort of DSL that helps you say things
like:

- the first thing on the line is the command "FOOBAR"
- it takes two required arguments, and one optional
- encode the required arguments using (base64/http/whatever)
- the response is one line starting with an integer result code
- when you get a response matching code X, execute a given block
- etc

- James Moore