Dsn.Resolve() fails in ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Kevin Kenny, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. Kevin Kenny

    Kevin Kenny Guest

    Hi All,

    I have a problem with the following code:

    IPHostEntry hostInfo = Dns.Resolve("www.develop.com");

    Dns.Resolve() throws :
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No such host is known at
    System.Net.Dns.GetHostByName(String hostName) at
    System.Net.Dns.Resolve(String hostName) [snip]

    The same code runs just fine in a console exe on the same web server as
    does the nslookup tool...so its not a firewall or DNS accessibility problem.

    Has anyone come across this before?

    We're running FW1.1 on Win2k SP3 and ASP.NET is running on the stock
    "ASPNET" account. Its a pretty standard built box and the .net security
    config hasn't been altered either.

    Sorry if the cross post to security may seem OT but I just want to see
    if this rings any security bells.

    Thanks

    Kevin

    Kevin Kenny, Aug 29, 2003