DTD problem: transforming cyclic graph into element definitions

Discussion in 'XML' started by Yves Forkl, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Yves Forkl

    Yves Forkl Guest

    I need to transform a directed cyclic graph into a DTD. My approach is
    to have one element Pn for each "production" number n, with the
    content model comprising the starting vertex number n and the
    subsequent productions. For e.g., for vertex V1 and its edges leading
    to V4 and V7, I would get:

    <!ELEMENT P1 (V1, (P4 | P7)) >

    For the following part of the graph I can't come up with the two
    content models because I always run into illegal recursive structures:

    Pa: Va -> Va | Vb | Vc
    Pb: Vb -> Va | Vc

    Maybe someone has an suggestion for legally recursive content models
    for Pa and Pb?

    Yves

    Yves Forkl, Oct 28, 2003