DTD validation and xmlproc

mmm

I found Python code to validate a XML document basd on DTD file
layout. The code uses the 'xmlproc' package and these module loading
steps

from xml.parsers.xmlproc import xmlproc
from xml.parsers.xmlproc import xmlval
from xml.parsers.xmlproc import xmldtd

Unfortunately, the xml package no longer seems to hold the xmlproc
module. As a standalone the xmlproc module seems to be no longer
maintained and was subsumed in PyXML a few years ago and that package
is no longer maintained (as best I can tell, or maybe was subsumed in
the base Python 2.x packages)

My problem is I can not get the old xmlproc package files that i did
find to work with Python 2.5.
I am willing to learn and use new xml procedures, but I found nothng
pre-written to validate agaisnt a given DTD file.

Any advice would be welcome, even a good tutorial on XML validation
usiog Python.