    it'd be ripe for abuse, as people could just say whatever would suite
    them the most (as is kinda the case with the keyword meta tag, which
    can be "stuffed" with keywords).
    yawnmoth, Jan 17, 2007

  2. http://dublincore.org/

    Joe Kesselman, Jan 17, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > Do all I
    > need to do to make any given webpage Dublin Core "compliant" is to add
    > the same meta tags to a webpage that the one I've already linked to
    > does?

    I'm having the same problem figuring these things out. Just minutes ago I
    read this web page: http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/dcmi/xmlschema/. In
    the second to the last paragraph of the introduction it says:

    "The schema presented in this document conform to the W3C XML Schema
    (1.0) recommendations. They are suggested rather than prescribed and may,
    in fact, co-exist with other schema for exchanging Dublin Core metadata.
    XML schema are interoperability vehicles; the greater number of
    applications that agree on a single schema the greater the ability to
    easily share Dublin Core metadata. Therefore, while the committee that
    formulated this proposal hopes that the proposed schema will be useful to
    a breadth of applications, we recognize that different functionality,
    provided by different schema, may be required by some."

    Note, this doesn't seem to be an official working group but the sentiment
    of the last paragraph is important. From what I have read on the Dublin
    Core web site, it seems they are more interested in specifying exactly
    what "fields" and qualifiers can be used in ANY method to store this kind
    of data rather than a specific XML schema. By doing that, they have left
    the standard open to varying ways to interpret the exact same data which
    I think is a mistake. But what do I know. They do offer a couple of
    "sample" schemas on their web site at
    http://dublincore.org/schemas/xmls/qdc/2003/04/02/notes/. These samples
    were created by the same people who I quoted earlier and the Dublin Core
    Metadata Initiative (DCMI) seem to have thought highly enough of them to
    post them on their own web site. But they are still just SAMPLES.

    I agree with Tim Cole et al. in that these types of things need to be
    locked down or at least have specific preferred schemas and DTDs.
    Otherwise what's the point of having standards?

    > Also, what's the point of having a Dublin Core "compliant" webpage? Is
    > it supposed to be more indexable, or something? If so, it seems like
    > it'd be ripe for abuse, as people could just say whatever would suite
    > them the most (as is kinda the case with the keyword meta tag, which
    > can be "stuffed" with keywords).

    Yes, it is supposed to be more indexable. Naturally this will be more
    difficult if everyone chooses their own way to mark up the Dublin Core
    metadata. And, yes, everything on the internet is ripe for abuse.
    Fortunately, good search engines seem to do a pretty good job of
    filtering out sites that attempt to abuse the system.
    Grant Robertson, Jan 17, 2007
  4. yawnmoth wrote:
    > Also, what's the point of having a Dublin Core "compliant" webpage? Is
    > it supposed to be more indexable, or something?

    Yes.

    > If so, it seems like it'd be ripe for abuse

    Not really. The meta tags are part of the document, so the risk that
    they're bogus is no greater than the risk that the entire document is
    nonsense. If that happens, whoever's editing the indexes can exclude it,
    or the readers can beat you up about it when they encounter it, or both.
    What the Dublin Core metadata does is help ensure that documents which
    *are* worth indexing can be indexed more accurately and more automatically.

    Joseph Kesselman, Jan 17, 2007