Duff Device reference ...

Jamie Risk

In Tom's original post (see http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/duffs-device.html)
discussing "Duff's Device" he refers to "another revolting way to use
swtiches to implement interrupt driven state machines".

My state machine may be considered revolting, and I was wondering if anyone
could point me to state machine example source he was referring to.

Michael Wojcik

In Tom's original post (see http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/duffs-device.html)
discussing "Duff's Device" he refers to "another revolting way to use
swtiches to implement interrupt driven state machines".

My state machine may be considered revolting, and I was wondering if anyone
could point me to state machine example source he was referring to.

What Tom actually wrote was "I have another revolting way to use
switches to implement interrupt driven state machines but it's too
horrid to go into". I take that to mean that while he had conceived
of this "revolting" method, and perhaps implemented it somewhere, he
didn't want to document it for posterity. Considering the
controversy that Duff's Device caused, and the amount of silly email
he'd apparently received on the subject, I can't say I blame him.

In other words, we're probably stuck with guessing, unless someone
can coax Tom into revealing it.

(A loop around a switch is a pretty standard way of doing small state
machines in C, so I imagine Tom's talking about something rather more
bizarre. If he thinks it's odder than Duff's Device it might be a
fine spectacle indeed.)