Duke JRE and JDK icons

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, May 27, 2008.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, May 27, 2008

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:46:53 +0100, Sabine Dinis Blochberger
    said :

    >Maybe instead of a toolkit, that would disappear on smaller icons, why
    >not have him hold one or two large tools in his hands (hammer, wrench, a
    >board of wood etc.).

    Too late now. I am getting a woodpecker done next. Perhaps you have
    some ideas for it.

    http://mindprod.com/image\icon32/unmain.png;

    I would like a Vista icon/png files for another icon, a woodpecker.
    Here is a rough sketch of him appearing to cling to a vertical
    surface.

    It needs a complete tail and head and perhaps slightly brighter
    colours, transparent background. That little blob to the right in
    supposed to represent the feet. He should be a bit taller and thinner
    than I have shown. Have a look with google image at some real life
    woodpecker photos.

    He is the mascot of my unmaintainable code essay.

    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, May 29, 2008

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 00:32:19 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >Too late now. I am getting a woodpecker done next. Perhaps you have
    >some ideas for it.

    "If engineers built buildings the way computer programmers designed
    buildings, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy
    civilisation."
    ~ anonymous

    Roedy Green, May 29, 2008
  4. Roedy Green

    Tim Slattery Guest

    Sabine Dinis Blochberger <> wrote:

    >Not much I can add, except I like that you didn't choose the species
    >that is more like the Disney character.

    Woody Woodpecker isn't Disney, he was originated by the late Walter
    Lantz, and he blongs to Universal now, I think. He's a pileated
    woodpecker.

    >The way they sit on trees is enough to identify them IMO.

    Not to mention their large, bright red crest.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pileated-woodpecker-at-suet-log.jpg

    --
    Tim Slattery

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
    Tim Slattery, May 29, 2008
  5. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 10:36:43 +0100, Sabine Dinis Blochberger
    said :

    >I could pixel (or clean up an image you have) you an icon, depending on
    >the size you need. Yes, for free <g>.

    I have already placed the order for the woodpecker. If you have a
    look at the site and see any dodgy icons, please do have a stab at
    cleaning them up, or replacing them altogether.

    Roedy Green, May 29, 2008
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 09:25:28 -0400, Tim Slattery <>

    >Woody Woodpecker isn't Disney, he was originated by the late Walter
    >Lantz, and he blongs to Universal now, I think. He's a pileated
    >woodpecker.

    I don't want to get into any hassles with copyright. I have seen how
    Disney is very heavy handed even for completely non-commercial use,
    e.g. little kids dressing up in home made costumes in a parade.

    I though I suppose some sort of malice in his expression might be
    desirable.

    Roedy Green, May 29, 2008
  7. On 2008-05-29 23:54 +0100, Roedy Green allegedly wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 May 2008 09:25:28 -0400, Tim Slattery <>
    >
    >> Woody Woodpecker isn't Disney, he was originated by the late Walter
    >> Lantz, and he blongs to Universal now, I think. He's a pileated
    >> woodpecker.

    > I don't want to get into any hassles with copyright. I have seen how
    > Disney is very heavy handed even for completely non-commercial use,
    > e.g. little kids dressing up in home made costumes in a parade.
    >
    > I though I suppose some sort of malice in his expression might be
    > desirable.

    Nay, just make him show some skin.

    --
    DF.
    to reply privately, change the top-level domain
    Daniele Futtorovic, May 29, 2008