    possible? if yes, are there any examples?

    Thanks
    troy

    Troy, Dec 13, 2004

  2. Troy

    Mujtaba Syed Guest

    Hi Troy:

    By reading your questions, it appears that you are doing standard database
    CRUD (create, read, update, delete) stuff. Please do make sure (talk to
    someone) that web services is _really_ required here. Web services are a
    simple but misunderstood class of applications. I have seen some cases where
    web services were misused leading to unnecessary complexity. In your case, I
    may be wrong as I am making my judgement based just on your few lines. If I
    am wrong, please pardon me. :)

    Incase you are sure web services is the way to go for your application, here
    are the answers:

    Web services can be done in many ways. If you use ASMX (that is ASP.NET web
    services, the most popular way), it handles the TCP port allocations, HTTP
    connections, etc. for you. What you need to do is write web methods inside
    the web service and call them through a proxy. Parameters passed to a web
    method are passed in the body of the SOAP message. You don't require to
    encode query values into URLs. This is also handled by web services
    infrastructure.

    As far as authentication goes, you could use IIS authentication or you could
    write custom SOAP headers to implement custom application authentication.

    Check out http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/ for some samples
    of web service security. This will also be available if you have the .NET
    SDK.

    Mujtaba.

    "Troy" <> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > I'm new to web services so please bear with me. Basically, I want to

    create

    Mujtaba Syed, Dec 13, 2004