dummy, underscore and unused local variables

Tim Johnson

Consider the following code:
for i in range(mylimit):
foo()
running pychecker gives me a
"""
Local variable (i) not used
"""
complaint.
If I use
for dummy in range(mylimit):
## or
for _ in range(mylimit):
I get no complaint from pychecker.
I would welcome comments on best practices for this issue.
NOTE: I see much on google regarding unused local variables,
however, doing a search for 'python _' hasn't proved fruitful.

I would like to see comments here specifically on the use for `range'

On a related note: from the python interpreter if I doI get
Help on bool object:

class bool(int)
| bool(x) -> bool
I'd welcome comments on this as well.

:) I expect to be edified is so many ways, some
of them unexpected.

thanks