dump website into an image?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Smokey Grindel, Dec 19, 2006.

  1. Is there a way to load a site into memory then save the resulting page as an
    image? so you can see a thumb of what the site looks like? thanks!
    Smokey Grindel, Dec 19, 2006

  2. I don't think it is possible. You can save the resulting html, but you never
    know how exactly a page will look like until it reaches the browser.

    --
    Eliyahu Goldin,
    Software Developer & Consultant

    Eliyahu Goldin, Dec 19, 2006

  3. Smokey Grindel

    Goofy Guest

    Pity you cant scale an IFRAME, then it would be easy. The only way I can
    think of is that you open a hidden browser window , get the handle to that
    window and use the windows API to render the contents of the window to a
    bitmap which you would then have to scale and save.

    The chances of this being successfull with automatic image reduction is
    likely to be poor quality but it might be worth a try.

    "Eliyahu Goldin" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Goofy, Dec 19, 2006
  4. Hi,

    Smokey Grindel wrote:
    > Is there a way to load a site into memory then save the resulting page as an
    > image? so you can see a thumb of what the site looks like? thanks!

    There are tools for this. A quick Google search let me find at least one:
    http://www.guangmingsoft.net/htmltoimage/help.htm

    I saw others in the past. The question remaining is: How can you
    integrate the tools functionality in your ASP.NET application. I am sure
    that you'll find more info about this on Google or maybe CodeProject.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft
    Laurent Bugnion, Dec 19, 2006
  5. Smokey Grindel

    clintonG Guest

    I concur, there are at least a half dozen or more solutions around. Check
    out this ActiveX [1] for example.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
    MAP http://wikimapia.org/#y=43038073&x=-88043838&z=17&l=0&m=h

    [1] http://www.tonec.com/products/wssh/

    clintonG, Dec 19, 2006
  6. Smokey Grindel

    Guest

    There's an open-source command line utility called IECapt for rendering
    a web page as an image. You can execute the process from asp.net and
    read in the rendered image.

    http://iecapt.sourceforge.net/

    Chris G

    clintonG wrote:
    > I concur, there are at least a half dozen or more solutions around. Check
    > out this ActiveX [1] for example.
    >
    > <%= Clinton Gallagher
    > NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
    > MAP http://wikimapia.org/#y=43038073&x=-88043838&z=17&l=0&m=h
    >
    > [1] http://www.tonec.com/products/wssh/
    >

    > "Laurent Bugnion" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Smokey Grindel wrote:
    > >> Is there a way to load a site into memory then save the resulting page as
    > >> an image? so you can see a thumb of what the site looks like? thanks!

    > > There are tools for this. A quick Google search let me find at least one:
    > > http://www.guangmingsoft.net/htmltoimage/help.htm
    > >
    > > I saw others in the past. The question remaining is: How can you integrate
    > > the tools functionality in your ASP.NET application. I am sure that you'll
    > > find more info about this on Google or maybe CodeProject.
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > > Laurent
    > > --
    > > Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft