Dumping objects into spreadsheet readable text (design question)

Discussion in 'Python' started by _, Jan 3, 2007.

  1. _

    _ Guest

    Hi Pythonistas and Pythonistos,

    I am doing some fairly complex statistical analyses and trying to
    display the output in a form readable to technicians not yet
    enlightened by the wonders of python (ie they still use either Excel,
    S-PLUS/R, or Matlab only). I need to dump the results into text such
    that these users can do further processing, and I am looking for ideas
    on good ways to do this.

    Note that formatting and displaying simple lists of named coeffecients
    or tables would easy; the problem is that these analyses (Lee-Carter
    mortality forecasts, for anyone who cares) require at least a single
    two-dimensional matrix of rates and ~12 scalar coefficients, and they
    generate 4 two-dimensional matrices, several three-dimensional
    matrices, and 20 or so scalar coefficients. Each of these pieces of
    data also has a canonical name with which they must be labeled in the
    output. All of these pieces of data go together. Finally, I would
    like to find some way to do this generally, so when my boss comes up
    with a new analysis I can re-use this text dump code.

    Has anybody done this?

    I am thinking of using cheetah, but I am still pondering design, hoping
    for list inspiration!

    pprint won't work because users will want to import into a spreadsheet,
    and it displays lots of "{" etc.

    Feel free to cc me on the reply, as I read the list as digest.

    TIA

    _, Jan 3, 2007