Duplicate a project

Santi Serrano

Hi,

Ok, I open Visual Studio .NET 2003. New C# ASP.NET Web Service project.
Everything works fine. When I'm done I close Visual Studio, go to the web
server home directory and make a copy of the folder of the existing project
to other one named different because I want to make some changes without
affecting the initial project. But what's my surprise that when I try to
open the copied project all of errors appear. Why Microsoft didn't make
asp.net projects independent of their location like you can do with html,
asp or php pages?

Trying to solve the problems...
First I go to xxxx.csproj.webinfo and change the url to the new path. OK
Then I set the .asmx file to the start page OK
But now... visual studio says the project is not configured to be
debugged... and in the project options debugging is enabled as well as in
Web.config KO
Anyway, I build the project OK
Now I open it in the explorer and this error appear:
----------------
in IIS.
Source Error:
Line 43: by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile
services for member sites.
Line 44: -->
Line 45: <authentication mode="Windows" />
Line 46:
Line 47: <!-- AUTHORIZATION
-------------

In the IIS manager I see that both the initial folder and the copied one
have different properties but I cannot change them. They have different
icons either (the copied is a common folder). If I make a virtual directory
that points to the other it seems to work but i think is not the solution.

is there an easier way to duplicate a project?

Thanks.
Santi.

Vapor

Yes that is the solution. Copy a project and then go into IIS, right click
on the folder, choose properties and select the create button in the popup
window. All will be well. You don't need to muck with any other stuff. If
you didn't map the virtual directories you get the host of problems which
you described.