Duplicate ASP web project

Olivier G. Gaumond

[Sorry for cross-posting but I think the issue concern both groups]

I have a Visual Studio Web project under Source Safe that someone else
developped. In fact there is two projects in two distinct subfolders but
the solution file is not in Source Safe and I can't recuperate it.

I want to start from the source available in Source Safe and make a distinct
exact copy of this projet but with a new name and different path on the web
server. And I also would like to drop any link with Source Safe (the copy
must be local on my machine and the current project in Source Safe must not
be affected)

Want are the steps necessary to do that? I tried to create a new project
and add the files from the old project manually, but I think that I screwed
up somewhere and the fact that the project name is now different seems to
break a lot of references.

Any help will be appreciated.

Olivier

Alvin Bruney

Create an empty project and add new aspx files. Copy the contents of the old
files into the new empty aspx files. Change the namespace on the project to
something else. Recompile and add it to source safe as a new project. You
should be ok.

Olivier G. Gaumond

Alvin Bruney said:
Create an empty project and add new aspx files. Copy the contents of the old
files into the new empty aspx files. Change the namespace on the project to
something else. Recompile and add it to source safe as a new project. You
should be ok.

Do you mean that I should copy and paste the content of each file?

I think that I could do a branch from the project in Source Safe, then open
the new project from Source control under VS .NET and then try to change the
name and namespace of the project. However I think that my main problem
will be the codebehind directive at the top of each page. The Inherits
attribut use the fully qualified class name so I would have to change it for
each file in the project.

Seems that my best bet is "find and replace"

Olivier

Alvin Bruney

That's also a good option, but you will need to delete the *scc* files which
is what keeps the memory of the older project.