Duplicate ASP web project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Olivier G. Gaumond, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. [Sorry for cross-posting but I think the issue concern both groups]

    I have a Visual Studio Web project under Source Safe that someone else
    developped. In fact there is two projects in two distinct subfolders but
    the solution file is not in Source Safe and I can't recuperate it.

    I want to start from the source available in Source Safe and make a distinct
    exact copy of this projet but with a new name and different path on the web
    server. And I also would like to drop any link with Source Safe (the copy
    must be local on my machine and the current project in Source Safe must not
    be affected)

    Want are the steps necessary to do that? I tried to create a new project
    and add the files from the old project manually, but I think that I screwed
    up somewhere and the fact that the project name is now different seems to
    break a lot of references.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Olivier

    ---

    Olivier G. Gaumond, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Olivier G. Gaumond

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    Create an empty project and add new aspx files. Copy the contents of the old
    files into the new empty aspx files. Change the namespace on the project to
    something else. Recompile and add it to source safe as a new project. You
    should be ok.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney, Dec 21, 2003

  3. "Alvin Bruney" <vapor at steaming post office> wrote in message
    > Create an empty project and add new aspx files. Copy the contents of the

    old
    > files into the new empty aspx files. Change the namespace on the project

    > something else. Recompile and add it to source safe as a new project. You
    > should be ok.

    Do you mean that I should copy and paste the content of each file?

    I think that I could do a branch from the project in Source Safe, then open
    the new project from Source control under VS .NET and then try to change the
    name and namespace of the project. However I think that my main problem
    will be the codebehind directive at the top of each page. The Inherits
    attribut use the fully qualified class name so I would have to change it for
    each file in the project.

    Seems that my best bet is "find and replace"

    Olivier

    ---

    Olivier G. Gaumond, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Olivier G. Gaumond

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    That's also a good option, but you will need to delete the *scc* files which
    is what keeps the memory of the older project.

    Alvin Bruney, Dec 21, 2003