Duplication of record in database

Kavita

We have one web application developed in .Net framework 1.1. This site is
live on production server since one year and used across world by many users.

But only one of the users is facing following problem:

Whenever the user submits an “Approval Process†form, there are 3 times
entries of same record with 2 – 5 seconds time difference.

This problem was faced by user in May and now again in last week. So, even
this user does not get this problem always. Nor any other user has reported
same problem.

We maintain an exception log file. There are no exceptions neither written
in this log file nor shown on page. We are not able to replicate this issue.
We even asked user whether she does multiple clicks on submit button or has
multiple sessions opened. But the user denies doing anything of this.

Can anyone help me in this problem? What can be cause for this issue?

Nick Chan

prevent multiple posting this way

Page_Load or Init
if not ispostback
session(random_stringornumber) = 0
else
if session(random_stringornumber) = 1 then
response.end
end
end

Kavita

Hi Nick,

I know with code I can prevent multiple clicks to avoid this. But the
problem is user says that without doing multiple clicks this problem is
occuring. So we are not able to find out the cause.

Kavita

Hi Nick,

Actually we just want to find out how this can happen if multiple clicks is
not the cause for it. User denies doing multiple click or multiple sessions
open.

User also does not face this always. Sometimes this happen. Even she is not
able to replicate it.

Scott Roberts

Users say lots of things, usually starting with "I didn't do anything and my
computer just ........"

Implement code to prevent duplicate postbacks (via refresh button and/or
multiple clicks on submit button) and I bet $1 that the problem mysteriously
vanishes.

Scott

Ian Semmel

Perhaps this user is double-clicking something instead of single-clicking
it.