DVD/CD drive not registering in Vista

ps

Hi

I bought a new Acer 5710 travelmate. Had Windows Vista and everything
pre-installed. My CD/DVD drive does not show up in My Computer. Tried
deleting the filters in registry editor, a very common solution to the
problem as posted on Microsoft website, but this did not work for me. Can
anybody please help me? I talked with Acer and they suggested I reformat my
laptop to factory default? Should I do this?