dvd on a website

windandwaves

Hi Gurus

We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). How do we convert
the DVD to a type of file that can be viewed by people on the internet.

we are web safy, but we have no idea about DVDs.

Any help appreciated.

- Nicolaas and Nathan

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed
Hi Gurus

We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). How do we convert
the DVD to a type of file that can be viewed by people on the internet.

we are web safy, but we have no idea about DVDs.

Any help appreciated.

DVDs use overlays. Does "safy" mean that your website supports
overlays?

jen_designs

First step is to get permission. Second step is to use a product that
will rip a dvd to and avi. I use Max DVD to avi converter. They have
a great trial version to start with. You can rip all or part of the
dvd as needed.

windandwaves

Travis said:
Well the first step is to get permission...

Classic! Nathan made it himself, it is his trip over the great wall of
china (he walked the wall thing!)...

windandwaves

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed

DVDs use overlays. Does "safy" mean that your website supports
overlays?

Sorry, can you explain what you mean? I can do overlays on the web
(z-index, etc...), but do we need that?

windandwaves

First step is to get permission. Second step is to use a product that
will rip a dvd to and avi. I use Max DVD to avi converter. They have
a great trial version to start with. You can rip all or part of the
dvd as needed.

Cool, thank you, yes we got permission, because Nathan filmed it. He used
some studio to make the DVD, but now he wants to put it on the web.

So avi would be the format that we want?

Thank you

Nicolaas

SpaceGirl

windandwaves said:
Cool, thank you, yes we got permission, because Nathan filmed it. He used
some studio to make the DVD, but now he wants to put it on the web.

So avi would be the format that we want?

Thank you

Nicolaas

WMV or QuickTime are better formats. Both these formats stream, whereas
AVI generally doesn't. Someone else suggested FLV (Flash video format)
which is also excellant so long as the visitor to the site has Flash 7
player installed (most do).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

dorayme

From: "windandwaves said:
Hi Gurus

We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). How do we convert
the DVD to a type of file that can be viewed by people on the internet.

we are web safy, but we have no idea about DVDs.

Any help appreciated.

- Nicolaas and Nathan

Depends on what it is on the DVD that you want to put on the website. Could
be almost anything - even a stain (scan and jpg or gif would be the way to
go on this).

dorayme

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:
Sorry, can you explain what you mean? I can do overlays on the web
(z-index, etc...), but do we need that?

It's a video mode designed to prevent pirating. Pragmatically it means
that you probably can't do what you want to.

xtra

dorayme said:
Depends on what it is on the DVD that you want to put on the website. Could
be almost anything - even a stain (scan and jpg or gif would be the way to
go on this).

dorayme

Well, Dorayme ... i checked for stains and they are not on it. WHat is on
it is ifo files and other files that are specific to DVD technology it
seems. I think we are talking DVD as in the DVD that you can put into a DVD
player (I hope that makes sense).

I bet you must love your scanner...

-Nicolaas

dorayme

From: "xtra said:
Well, Dorayme ... i checked for stains and they are not on it. WHat is on
it is ifo files and other files that are specific to DVD technology it
seems. I think we are talking DVD as in the DVD that you can put into a DVD
player (I hope that makes sense).

I bet you must love your scanner...

Well, now hang on a mo, Nicolaas, no need for this sort of thing, I don't
love it that much...

Seriously, about your Q, I was not sure of its exact nature. If it is a
movie, you may want to know about the best format (I like Quicktime
myself)... But it may be that you want to know how to get the things on the
DVD onto your computer free of the DVD, as files. In my case I can run a VCR
or DVD player thru a VCR, or TV into my Mac via some AV plugs on its back (I
have no DVD player in or attached to my Mac normally. You can also get
special PCI cards if this circuitry is not built in. The whole subject of
what to do with the files re the web depends on the nature of the files.

dorayme

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Spartanicus quothed:
Bullshit.

I probably should have added "-on copyrighted material." Of course you
can manipulate home movies as much as you manipulate anything else you
own.

Spartanicus

Neredbojias said:
I probably should have added "-on copyrighted material."

Overlay mode is a property of the way the video data is transferred
between the GPU and the other computer hardware. It is not a property of
the DVD and/or it's content, copyrighted or not.

cwdjrxyz

windandwaves said:
Hi Gurus

We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). How do we convert
the DVD to a type of file that can be viewed by people on the internet.

we are web safy, but we have no idea about DVDs.

Any help appreciated.

- Nicolaas and Nathan

If I understand you correctly, you have a DVD video from which you wish
to select a portion of the program and convert it to a format that can
be used on the web. I would suggest that you use the .wmv Microsoft
format that plays on the WMP player, because more people have this
player than any other. If you want to use the Real format, it is easy
enough to offer an additional option of the real .rm video format. The
advantage of both of these formats is that they will stream from an
ordinary html server. You will need to be certain the server has the
necessary mime types for these media installed. Your next choice is
what Real calls the audience. You have to choose what bit rate you wish
to use. About 32 Kbps is about all you can use on 56K dialup without
excessive buffering time before streaming starts. Video at this rate
should be displayed on a very small area, and still is not very good.
You can also offer streams at the lower and upper ends of the rates
allowed by DSL or cable connections. Many commercial sites will offer 3
streams at different rates. Both Microsoft and Real have free downloads
for encoders for their formats, and I strongly suggest that you use
these, as they have good templates for selection of the best parameters
automatically. With more experience, you can use both encoders in about
any way you wish.

Next you need a signal to input into the encoders. If you must start
from a DVD rather than mpeg2 or certain digital camera files, there are
2 ways you can go. If you have the latest versions of the Roxio or Nero
media programs, you will be able to put the DVD into your computer and
capture the DVD to the HD in a format that is usable for the encoders,
provided the DVD is not copy protected(Yes, I know there are ways some
use to get around copy protection, as a quick Google search will show).
Then you have to use some video programs to edit out the part of the
program you wish to use. All of this can take quite a bit of time the
first time you do it. The second way is to input the analog audio-video
stream from a DVD player to a device to do the file conversion and
store the converted files on the HD. These devices usually come with
necessary programs. Either internal or external devices are available.
I use the ADS Tech InstantDVD+DV device that connects to the computer
via USB2. It came with capture and editing programs. With such a device
you can capture video-audio to the HD from DVDs, VCR tapes, and TV from
off-the-air, cable, or satellite. It also will capture from the digital
output of some video cameras. While the quality may not be as good as
from professional equipment that is extremely expensive, the quality is
more than good enough for the web and good enough for all except the
best recent movies.

I have recorded several hundred DVDs from sources mentioned above. I
also have put several clips up on my site using the Microsoft and Real
encoders. It does take quite a bit of time to learn to use the several
programs.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Spartanicus quothed:
Overlay mode is a property of the way the video data is transferred
between the GPU and the other computer hardware. It is not a property of
the DVD and/or it's content, copyrighted or not.

Okay. Did I say it was? Anyway, can I copy my copy of "Dorayme Does
Darwin" or not?