    we are web safy, but we have no idea about DVDs.

    Any help appreciated.

    - Nicolaas and Nathan

    windandwaves, Jul 21, 2005

  2. windandwaves wrote:
    > We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). ...

    Well the first step is to get permission...

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jul 21, 2005

  3. windandwaves

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed

    > Hi Gurus
    >
    > We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). How do we convert
    > the DVD to a type of file that can be viewed by people on the internet.
    >
    > we are web safy, but we have no idea about DVDs.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    DVDs use overlays. Does "safy" mean that your website supports
    overlays?

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Jul 21, 2005
  4. windandwaves

    Guest

    First step is to get permission. Second step is to use a product that
    will rip a dvd to and avi. I use Max DVD to avi converter. They have
    a great trial version to start with. You can rip all or part of the
    dvd as needed.

    , Jul 21, 2005
  5. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > windandwaves wrote:
    >> We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). ...

    > Well the first step is to get permission...

    Classic! Nathan made it himself, it is his trip over the great wall of
    china (he walked the wall thing!)...

    windandwaves, Jul 21, 2005
  6. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed
    >
    >> Hi Gurus
    >>
    >> We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). How do we
    >> convert the DVD to a type of file that can be viewed by people on
    >> the internet.
    >>
    >> we are web safy, but we have no idea about DVDs.
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated.

    > DVDs use overlays. Does "safy" mean that your website supports
    > overlays?

    Sorry, can you explain what you mean? I can do overlays on the web
    (z-index, etc...), but do we need that?

    windandwaves, Jul 21, 2005
  7. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    wrote:
    > First step is to get permission. Second step is to use a product that
    > will rip a dvd to and avi. I use Max DVD to avi converter. They have
    > a great trial version to start with. You can rip all or part of the
    > dvd as needed.

    Cool, thank you, yes we got permission, because Nathan filmed it. He used
    some studio to make the DVD, but now he wants to put it on the web.

    So avi would be the format that we want?

    Thank you

    Nicolaas

    windandwaves, Jul 21, 2005
  8. I use ffmpeg to convert any video to flash video (.flv)

    Evert

    Evert | Collab, Jul 21, 2005
  9. windandwaves

    SpaceGirl Guest

    windandwaves wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>First step is to get permission. Second step is to use a product that
    >>will rip a dvd to and avi. I use Max DVD to avi converter. They have
    >>a great trial version to start with. You can rip all or part of the
    >>dvd as needed.

    > Cool, thank you, yes we got permission, because Nathan filmed it. He used
    > some studio to make the DVD, but now he wants to put it on the web.
    >
    > So avi would be the format that we want?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Nicolaas

    WMV or QuickTime are better formats. Both these formats stream, whereas
    AVI generally doesn't. Someone else suggested FLV (Flash video format)
    which is also excellant so long as the visitor to the site has Flash 7
    player installed (most do).

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
    # explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
    # to duplicate this post.

    SpaceGirl, Jul 21, 2005
  10. windandwaves

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "windandwaves" <>
    >
    > Hi Gurus
    >
    > We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). How do we convert
    > the DVD to a type of file that can be viewed by people on the internet.
    >
    > we are web safy, but we have no idea about DVDs.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > - Nicolaas and Nathan

    Depends on what it is on the DVD that you want to put on the website. Could
    be almost anything - even a stain (scan and jpg or gif would be the way to
    go on this).

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 22, 2005
  11. windandwaves

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:

    > > DVDs use overlays. Does "safy" mean that your website supports
    > > overlays?

    > Sorry, can you explain what you mean? I can do overlays on the web
    > (z-index, etc...), but do we need that?

    It's a video mode designed to prevent pirating. Pragmatically it means
    that you probably can't do what you want to.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Jul 22, 2005
  12. windandwaves

    Spartanicus Guest

    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    >> > DVDs use overlays. Does "safy" mean that your website supports
    >> > overlays?

    >> Sorry, can you explain what you mean? I can do overlays on the web
    >> (z-index, etc...), but do we need that?

    >It's a video mode designed to prevent pirating. Pragmatically it means
    >that you probably can't do what you want to.

    Bullshit.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jul 22, 2005
  13. windandwaves

    xtra Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > From: "windandwaves" <>
    > >
    > > Hi Gurus
    > >
    > > We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). How do we

    convert
    > > the DVD to a type of file that can be viewed by people on the internet.
    > >
    > > we are web safy, but we have no idea about DVDs.
    > >
    > > Any help appreciated.
    > >
    > > - Nicolaas and Nathan
    > >

    > Depends on what it is on the DVD that you want to put on the website.

    Could
    > be almost anything - even a stain (scan and jpg or gif would be the way to
    > go on this).
    >
    > dorayme

    Well, Dorayme ... i checked for stains and they are not on it. WHat is on
    it is ifo files and other files that are specific to DVD technology it
    seems. I think we are talking DVD as in the DVD that you can put into a DVD
    player (I hope that makes sense).

    I bet you must love your scanner...

    -Nicolaas

    xtra, Jul 23, 2005
  14. windandwaves

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "xtra" <>

    >>> We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). How do we

    > convert
    >>> the DVD to a type of file that can be viewed by people on the internet.
    >>>

    >> Depends on what it is on the DVD that you want to put on the website.

    > Could
    >> be almost anything - even a stain (scan and jpg or gif would be the way to
    >> go on this).
    >>
    >> dorayme
    >>

    > Well, Dorayme ... i checked for stains and they are not on it. WHat is on
    > it is ifo files and other files that are specific to DVD technology it
    > seems. I think we are talking DVD as in the DVD that you can put into a DVD
    > player (I hope that makes sense).
    >
    > I bet you must love your scanner...

    Well, now hang on a mo, Nicolaas, no need for this sort of thing, I don't
    love it that much...

    Seriously, about your Q, I was not sure of its exact nature. If it is a
    movie, you may want to know about the best format (I like Quicktime
    myself)... But it may be that you want to know how to get the things on the
    DVD onto your computer free of the DVD, as files. In my case I can run a VCR
    or DVD player thru a VCR, or TV into my Mac via some AV plugs on its back (I
    have no DVD player in or attached to my Mac normally. You can also get
    special PCI cards if this circuitry is not built in. The whole subject of
    what to do with the files re the web depends on the nature of the files.

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 23, 2005
  15. windandwaves

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Spartanicus quothed:

    > >It's a video mode designed to prevent pirating. Pragmatically it means
    > >that you probably can't do what you want to.

    > Bullshit.

    I probably should have added "-on copyrighted material." Of course you
    can manipulate home movies as much as you manipulate anything else you
    own.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Jul 23, 2005
  16. windandwaves

    Spartanicus Guest

    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    >> >It's a video mode designed to prevent pirating. Pragmatically it means
    >> >that you probably can't do what you want to.

    >> Bullshit.

    >I probably should have added "-on copyrighted material."

    Overlay mode is a property of the way the video data is transferred
    between the GPU and the other computer hardware. It is not a property of
    the DVD and/or it's content, copyrighted or not.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jul 23, 2005
  17. windandwaves

    Guest

    windandwaves wrote:
    > Hi Gurus
    >
    > We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). How do we convert
    > the DVD to a type of file that can be viewed by people on the internet.
    >
    > we are web safy, but we have no idea about DVDs.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > - Nicolaas and Nathan

    If I understand you correctly, you have a DVD video from which you wish
    to select a portion of the program and convert it to a format that can
    be used on the web. I would suggest that you use the .wmv Microsoft
    format that plays on the WMP player, because more people have this
    player than any other. If you want to use the Real format, it is easy
    enough to offer an additional option of the real .rm video format. The
    advantage of both of these formats is that they will stream from an
    ordinary html server. You will need to be certain the server has the
    necessary mime types for these media installed. Your next choice is
    what Real calls the audience. You have to choose what bit rate you wish
    to use. About 32 Kbps is about all you can use on 56K dialup without
    excessive buffering time before streaming starts. Video at this rate
    should be displayed on a very small area, and still is not very good.
    You can also offer streams at the lower and upper ends of the rates
    allowed by DSL or cable connections. Many commercial sites will offer 3
    streams at different rates. Both Microsoft and Real have free downloads
    for encoders for their formats, and I strongly suggest that you use
    these, as they have good templates for selection of the best parameters
    automatically. With more experience, you can use both encoders in about
    any way you wish.

    Next you need a signal to input into the encoders. If you must start
    from a DVD rather than mpeg2 or certain digital camera files, there are
    2 ways you can go. If you have the latest versions of the Roxio or Nero
    media programs, you will be able to put the DVD into your computer and
    capture the DVD to the HD in a format that is usable for the encoders,
    provided the DVD is not copy protected(Yes, I know there are ways some
    use to get around copy protection, as a quick Google search will show).
    Then you have to use some video programs to edit out the part of the
    program you wish to use. All of this can take quite a bit of time the
    first time you do it. The second way is to input the analog audio-video
    stream from a DVD player to a device to do the file conversion and
    store the converted files on the HD. These devices usually come with
    necessary programs. Either internal or external devices are available.
    I use the ADS Tech InstantDVD+DV device that connects to the computer
    via USB2. It came with capture and editing programs. With such a device
    you can capture video-audio to the HD from DVDs, VCR tapes, and TV from
    off-the-air, cable, or satellite. It also will capture from the digital
    output of some video cameras. While the quality may not be as good as
    from professional equipment that is extremely expensive, the quality is
    more than good enough for the web and good enough for all except the
    best recent movies.

    I have recorded several hundred DVDs from sources mentioned above. I
    also have put several clips up on my site using the Microsoft and Real
    encoders. It does take quite a bit of time to learn to use the several
    programs.

    , Jul 23, 2005
  18. windandwaves

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Spartanicus quothed:

    > >> Bullshit.

    > >I probably should have added "-on copyrighted material."

    > Overlay mode is a property of the way the video data is transferred
    > between the GPU and the other computer hardware. It is not a property of
    > the DVD and/or it's content, copyrighted or not.

    Okay. Did I say it was? Anyway, can I copy my copy of "Dorayme Does
    Darwin" or not?

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Jul 24, 2005