dvision content remains intact

Discussion in 'HTML' started by richard, Dec 28, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    I have an interesting problem I'm trying to cure.
    I have a parent division which contains a table.
    The table is basically a simple five row deal.
    row 1 is the title.
    row 2 is a question with a hidden child division.
    row 3 has a division which contains four inner divisions for the answers.

    Initially, row 3 division 1 and contents are visible.
    When a button is clicked, division 1 and contents are supposed to be hidden
    from view. However, division 1 is hidden, but not the contents.
    Nothing in the inner divisions is styled to be blocked.

    In row 2, the hidden divisions shows up just fine as it is supposed to.

    I always thought that what ever was inside the parent division was supposed
    to be hidden when the parent was hidden. What tricks or methods are there
    to make sure the content will be hidden as desired?
     
    richard, Dec 28, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. richard

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <1qit0a2qxqiz0$.1kzxdk9aw9him$>, richard <> wrote:
    >I have an interesting problem I'm trying to cure.
    >I have a parent division which contains a table.
    >The table is basically a simple five row deal.
    >row 1 is the title.
    >row 2 is a question with a hidden child division.
    >row 3 has a division which contains four inner divisions for the answers.
    >
    >Initially, row 3 division 1 and contents are visible.
    >When a button is clicked, division 1 and contents are supposed to be hidden
    >from view. However, division 1 is hidden, but not the contents.
    >Nothing in the inner divisions is styled to be blocked.
    >
    >In row 2, the hidden divisions shows up just fine as it is supposed to.
    >
    >I always thought that what ever was inside the parent division was supposed
    >to be hidden when the parent was hidden. What tricks or methods are there
    >to make sure the content will be hidden as desired?


    Perhaps you'd be so kind as to post a URL...?
     
    Doug Miller, Dec 28, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ben C wrote:

    > My money is on broken HTML


    So you're familiar with RtS's work then? ;-)

    He's showed this 'quiz' page before, but I don't remember the URL.

    --
    -bts
    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 28, 2009
    #3
  4. richard

    GTalbot Guest

    On 28 déc, 15:55, Ben C <> wrote:
    > On 2009-12-28, richard <> wrote:



    > > I always thought that what ever was inside the parent division was supposed
    > > to be hidden when the parent was hidden. What tricks or methods are there
    > > to make sure the content will be hidden as desired?

    >
    > Visibility is inherited, but descendents of hidden things can still be
    > visible if you set them back to visible.
    >
    > e.g. with
    >
    >     <div style="visibility: hidden">
    >         <div style="visibility: visible">
    >
    > you'll see the inner div.
    >
    > But I doubt that's what's what happening here. My money is on broken
    > HTML resulting in a DOM tree in which the unexpectedly visible element
    > has ended up not, as you intended, a descendent of the one you set to
    > visibility: hidden.


    Ben and Beauregard,

    It can be a regression bug in IE 8.

    Descendants of a "visibility: hidden" ancestor element must be visible
    if they have "visibility: visible"
    http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/#bug235

    No broken HTML here:

    (inline level descendants tested only; I don't know about block-level
    descendants)
    http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/visibility-descendants-visibility-hidden.html

    season's greetings, Gérard
    --
    Internet Explorer 7 bugs: 185 bugs so far
    http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/
    Internet Explorer 8 bugs: 58 bugs so far
    http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/
     
    GTalbot, Dec 29, 2009
    #4
  5. richard

    GTalbot Guest

    On 28 déc, 15:55, Ben C <> wrote:

    > Visibility is inherited, but descendents of hidden things can still be
    > visible if you set them back to visible.
    >
    > e.g. with
    >
    >     <div style="visibility: hidden">
    >         <div style="visibility: visible">



    There is also the same kind of bug regression in IE 8 involving
    visibility: inherit:

    visibility: inherit applied to command button fails in IE 8
    http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/#bug228

    season's greetings, Gérard
    --
    Internet Explorer 7 bugs: 185 bugs so far
    http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/
    Internet Explorer 8 bugs: 58 bugs so far
    http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/
     
    GTalbot, Dec 29, 2009
    #5
  6. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 13:08:17 -0700, richard wrote:

    > I have an interesting problem I'm trying to cure.
    > I have a parent division which contains a table.
    > The table is basically a simple five row deal.
    > row 1 is the title.
    > row 2 is a question with a hidden child division.
    > row 3 has a division which contains four inner divisions for the answers.
    >
    > Initially, row 3 division 1 and contents are visible.
    > When a button is clicked, division 1 and contents are supposed to be hidden
    > from view. However, division 1 is hidden, but not the contents.
    > Nothing in the inner divisions is styled to be blocked.
    >
    > In row 2, the hidden divisions shows up just fine as it is supposed to.
    >
    > I always thought that what ever was inside the parent division was supposed
    > to be hidden when the parent was hidden. What tricks or methods are there
    > to make sure the content will be hidden as desired?


    found I had an extra </div> where it didn't belong, which caused the block
    to end prematurely.

    Why no url? because runbasic is an application. So even if you did see the
    page sourcecode, you wouldn't understand it. Like with php, you only see
    the end results.
     
    richard, Dec 29, 2009
    #6
  7. richard

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, richard <> wrote:

    >Why no url? because runbasic is an application. So even if you did see the
    >page sourcecode, you wouldn't understand it. Like with php, you only see
    >the end results.


    It's only the "end results" (i.e. the HTML delivered to the browser) that
    we're interested in anyway.

    You've already been told this numerous times in the last few months, but I'll
    say it again: you'd have a much better chance of getting help with your
    problems if you'd post the URL of a page that demonstrates the trouble.
     
    Doug Miller, Dec 29, 2009
    #7
  8. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben C <> wrote:

    > On 2009-12-29, Doug Miller <> wrote:
    > > In article <>, richard
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    ....
    > > You've already been told this numerous times in the last few months, but
    > > I'll
    > > say it again: you'd have a much better chance of getting help with your
    > > problems if you'd post the URL of a page that demonstrates the trouble.

    >
    > But I did guess what his problem was without a URL.


    And it is a nice game! I try it myself with mixed success now and
    then... Els - remember Els? - was brilliant at it. You are no slouch
    either! We should have a corner of alt.html where it is *officially*
    played - like newspapers have cryptic crosswords...<g>

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Dec 29, 2009
    #8
  9. Martin Jay wrote:

    > Ben C <> wrote:
    >> Doug Miller <> wrote:
    >>> You've already been told this numerous times in the last few months,
    >>> but I'll say it again: you'd have a much better chance of getting
    >>> help with your problems if you'd post the URL of a page that
    >>> demonstrates the trouble.


    Naturally, a quick trip to the validator would have answered his
    question. ;-)

    >> But I did guess what his problem was without a URL.

    >
    > RunBASIC? :)


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_BASIC

    It's a sort-of tool for developing web page output by typing BASIC style
    commands. It's proprietary, and you need Windows. RtS discovered it a
    few months back, and in fact came into these groups extolling its
    virtues. It appears he's gone back to it after his short foray into PHP
    failed.

    --
    -bts
    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 29, 2009
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?TmFk?=
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,073
    =?Utf-8?B?TmFk?=
    Jun 30, 2005
  2. Bell, Kevin
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    287
    Bell, Kevin
    Oct 20, 2005
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    320
    Diez B. Roggisch
    Sep 27, 2006
  4. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    380
    richard
    Oct 4, 2006
  5. Keith
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    130
    Mark Schupp
    Oct 23, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page