Dynamic Array of vectors

jack.smith.sam

Hi All,

How can I implement a one dimentional array,s.t. each cell of array is
a vector.
e.g.

a-> 1 2 3
b-> 3 4 5 7 8
c-> 4 5 5 6 0 0 0

thanks a lot

Chris Brat

Hi,

This will do what you describe but why do you want to?
What are you trying to achieve?

Regards,
Chris

import java.util.Arrays;
import java.util.Vector;

public class A {

public static void main(String[] args){
Vector[] vector = new Vector[10];
for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++){
vector = new Vector();
}

for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++){
vector.add(String.valueOf(i));
}

System.out.println(Arrays.toString(vector));

Chris Brat

If you would like the number of vectors to be dynamic i.e. the size of
the array

Chris

jack.smith.sam

Thanks, Chris. What I want is dynamic array of vectors, i.e. vectors of
vectors (or maybe more effiecient data structure).
The reason is I want to store data in 2d data structure but I do not
size of any dimension

Chris Brat

Unless you need the data structure to be synchronized between threads
rather use an ArrayLists instead of a Vectors as Vectors are
synchronized.

This code should do what you are describing but I dont think its a good
idea - very clunky and possibly error prone.

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

public class A {

public static void main(String[] args){
List list = new ArrayList();
for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++){
list.add(new ArrayList());
}

for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++){
((List)list.get(i)).add(String.valueOf(i));
}

System.out.println(list);

How do you want to process the data stored in this structure? Do you
want to iterate over entire rows/columns or select individual items at
particular indexes [x,y] ?

If the latter then take a look at the MultiKeyMap in the commons
collections libs.

Chris

Deniz Dogan

Hi All,

How can I implement a one dimentional array,s.t. each cell of array is
a vector.
e.g.

a-> 1 2 3
b-> 3 4 5 7 8
c-> 4 5 5 6 0 0 0

thanks a lot

I can't help but think that the question that you ask is part of school
work that should be done by you and no one else. I don't know the
general ethics of this newsgroup, but a lot of Java IRC channels don't
complete school work for you, for your own good.
This is a very simple and basic question that you surely would be able
to answer if you knew the least bit about Java programming and that's
why I'm being so suspicious.

jack.smith.sam

No. This is not part of my school homework.
Deniz said:
I can't help but think that the question that you ask is part of school
work that should be done by you and no one else. I don't know the
general ethics of this newsgroup, but a lot of Java IRC channels don't
complete school work for you, for your own good.
This is a very simple and basic question that you surely would be able
to answer if you knew the least bit about Java programming and that's
why I'm being so suspicious.

Simon Brooke

in message <[email protected]>,
No. This is not part of my school homework.

Well, I wouldn't do it like that. If you want to have it grow dynamically
then a vector or list of vectors would suit you better. If you do want to
define an array of vectors, then it's defined just like any other array.

Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
hey chris im aly im ur second cuz im doing a paper on ui and the brats and i need u 2 send me some pics and im not lying im ur 2nd cuz on mikes side remember my mom julie baby sat u when u came when u were likle 11? ok send me some info and pics thanks!! alyb.