Dynamic contenet controlled by win32 application.

Gil

I need to create a web page in which its content should be controlled by
some win32 application. this application may add or remove some gif images
from the page and it should be smooth as possible as can.

Can someone here direct me how to start that.

Thanks in advance

Gil

Eliyahu Goldin

Gil,

You can always start an external process from an aspx page, wait till it
finishes and pick up the results from files that the external process will
create. Look at Process and ProcessStartInfo classes in System.Diagnostics
namespace. You will need to setup an appropriate security for your
application.

Gil

Thanks allot,

Actually I think that I was misleading a little in my original
question(sorry for that). I'm just an asp beginner and expected just an
answer in the technology level. You gave me a detailed answer assuming I'm
using asp.net(thanks alot anyway, its defiantly an asp.met group...). So far
I've been doing win32 programming and html editing and never used asp
before. I'll repeat my question and refine it hoping to receive a conceptual
direction.
My current application should run some win32 process and also a web server.
The win32 process creates all the time new gifs on the fly, and remote users
should see them added (and also some are removed). The gifs should occupy
dynamic content and should smoothly removed and/or added to the pages.

My questions are therefore-

1. Which technologies must I use to implement the above needs?
I expect answers like html, dhtm, asp.net etc.
2. Are there alternatives to the implementation?
I hope to use the easyest if I can.
3. Is there any example in msdn/web to the above application?

Thanks again for any reference

Gil

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

Gil said:
I need to create a web page in which its content should be controlled by
some win32 application. this application may add or remove some gif images
from the page and it should be smooth as possible as can.

Can someone here direct me how to start that.

Thanks in advance

Gil

Eliyahu Goldin

Gil,

1. You should use asp.net. It lets you program on server-side making use of
all dotnet programming power.

2. I assume you already have a win32 app producing required images. It
indeed may be easier to keep the existing functionality in win32, since GDI+
provided by dotnet is different and, in some cases, performs much slower
than old GDI. I would consider turning the win32 exe into a dll and calling
separate dll functions from an asp.net page.

In any case, I would make the win32 code produce images in a separate
directory. Then the asp.net page would get the images and populate the page
image controls.

There is a number of steps involved in the whole process, you will need to
learn each one patiently.

Good luck.