Dynamic creation of web pages without .aspx files

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by michelle, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. michelle

    michelle Guest

    I am experimenting with dynamically creating pages containing custom
    controls in response to http requests caught by an http handler, in
    place of writing and requesting aspx files. Specifically, I am doing
    the following:
    - mapping requests to an http handler
    - instantiating a class hierarchy that, retrieves data, parses the URL
    and performs some business processing
    - instantiating the Page class and adding controls
    - rendering the page object to an HtmlTextWriter object
    - Response.Write the contents of the HtmlTextWriter back to the
    browser

    At no point am I using or creating an .aspx file.

    The reason why I am investigating doing things this way is that we are
    trying to build a very flexible, customisable user interface on top of
    a multi-layered data-driven system.

    I am successfully rendering controls in this way. However, even though
    the web controls explicitly set
    EnableViewState = true;
    the _VIEWSTATE hidden field is not being rendered to the browser.

    The questions I have are:
    How can I ensure that the the viewstate field is rendered along with
    the control? and,
    Is what I am attempting to do possible?

    Thanks in advance
    michelle, Jul 4, 2003