Dynamic Crystal Reports

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Andrew, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hey all,

    Been working with the Crystal Report Viewer, and have run into a situation I
    am hoping someone can help me get past. This may be more of a CR question,
    but hoping for some CR gurus to stop by in here.

    Crystal's knowledgebase has made available a bunch of examples for both
    ASP.Net and VB.Net applications for download and review (I added the links
    at the end of this post). One of the examples is how to pass in a parameter
    to the form from the .aspx page so you can alter what is displayed.
    However, on closer inspection, you find that the form pulls across a huge
    set of records and merely filters out all records not in the group matching
    the parameter passed in.

    My snag is that I do not want to pull across a huge set of records, rather I
    would prefer to use a stored procedure on the SQL Server that accepts a
    parameter and returns only those records I want. The records are the same
    structure every time, just the content may be different. While the example
    shows how to pass in the parameter, I do not know how to set up the form to
    utilize not just a Stored Procedure, but rather one that requires a
    parameter.

    In short: Create an ASP.Net page that displays a Crystal Report whose data
    is determined by a parameter passed in to the report and used in a Stored
    Procedure tying it to a SQL Server.

    Has anyone in here run into this situation and can explain how to deal with
    it?

    -- Andrew

    Crystal Decisions Project Examples:
    VB .NET Web Sample Applications