Dynamic Debug Compilation

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ktrvnbq02@sneakemail.com, Apr 7, 2005.

    We have an ASP.NET application built in Release mode via Visual Studio.

    All of the C# code is in the code-behind files (i.e. *.aspx.cs files)
    and there is no C# in the *.aspx files themselves.

    In this scenario, will the following setting have any detrimental
    effect if left set to true when running a Release build described
    above?

    <system.web>

    <!-- DYNAMIC DEBUG COMPILATION
    Set compilation debug="true" to enable ASPX debugging.
    Otherwise, setting this value to
    false will improve runtime performance of this application.
    Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging symbols (.pdb
    information)
    into the compiled page. Because this creates a larger file that
    executes
    more slowly, you should set this value to true only when
    debugging and to
    false at all other times. For more information, refer to the
    documentation about
    debugging ASP .NET files.
    -->
    <compilation
    defaultLanguage="c#"
    debug="false"
    />

    </system.web>

    My understanding is that the setting should *only* have an effect if
    code is being dynamically compiled (which we are not doing), however
    the MSDN is slightly ambiguous and I wanted to check if there were any
    other side effects (performance or otherwise) if this setting has been
    left enabled on a live site.

    Thanks for your time,

    Matt

    , Apr 7, 2005

  2. The aspx files are converted to C# files (even if there is no C# code in
    them). You can see the generated C# files in
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files
    The folder name can differ depending on where windows is installed on your
    machine, and which framework version you are using.
    The flag in web.config affects the compilation of the generated C# files.

    Best regards,
    Sherif

    Sherif ElMetainy, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Scott Allen Guest

    Yes there will still be an impact. The debug setting also changes the
    way batch compilation works and how many assemblies will be created.
    Whether or not the impact would have a noticable effect on your
    application could only be determined by some testing, however.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Apr 7, 2005

    wrote:

    > My understanding is that the setting should *only* have an effect if
    > code is being dynamically compiled (which we are not doing), however
    > the MSDN is slightly ambiguous and I wanted to check if there were

    any
    > other side effects (performance or otherwise) if this setting has

    been
    > left enabled on a live site.

    Thanks Sherif and Scott, your help is appreciated.

    I'll now ensure that this setting is checked specifically as part of
    our build process, as it's easy for that setting to be left enabled,
    e.g. if a Developer updates the Web.Config from their local copy
    they've been using whilst Debugging.

    Regards,

    Matt

    , Apr 7, 2005