dynamic drop down menu...

firstcustomer

Hi fellas,

I need some help with something if you'd be so kind!

I'm creating a knowledgebase site at my workplace, and I'm kinda
limited as to resources (in terms of technology) because we are running
Win2K. I don't have access to a web server for this, so its more or
less just HTML and JavaScript.

I'm wanting to do the following:

There is a drop down menu, which loads up another drop down menu
(preferably in the same page) depending on the answer.

Let me demonstrate:

The user is faced with a question:

What OS is the customer using?
* XP
* Linux

Now, when the user selects one, another question and drop down appears
BELOW this, something like:

Is it:
* XP Pro
* XP Home

etc etc, until the users has answered sufficient questions to be able
to give them a page detailing how to fix the problem.

Also, it would be best if the drop downs are stored in different files,
as there will be some cross references.

Btw, the drop dowen menu that I mean is just the normal, bog-standard
HTML drop down menu (like in a form!).

TIA, Neil

Andy Dingley

I'm creating a knowledgebase site at my workplace, and I'm kinda
limited as to resources (in terms of technology) because we are running
Win2K. I don't have access to a web server for this,

Get a web server, the easiest way might be to install Linux on an old
PC and then run Apache and some Wiki or other. Every office has old
retired PCs that can be re-used and the rest is free.

Although I'm sure it's possible to do this under Win2K, it's just a
waste of effort to attempt it.

firstcustomer

That really can't be done.

The amount of red tape within my company is a joke.

So, if you could explain to me how to do it in w2k standalone, that'd
be great...

Jim Higson

Hi fellas,

I need some help with something if you'd be so kind!

I'm creating a knowledgebase site at my workplace, and I'm kinda
limited as to resources (in terms of technology) because we are running
Win2K. I don't have access to a web server for this, so its more or
less just HTML and JavaScript.

The Apache web server can run on Win2k. Also, IIS.
Having said that, how expensive can a server for a small intranet really be?

Probably much less than the cost of your time to produce a hackish solution
in javascript, plus the cost to maintain this weird site that no-one will
quite understand after you leave the company.

Tell whoever's paying that if they want it done properly, a web site
requires a web server.

If you *must* do it as static pages, I'd recomend creating a dynamic site on
your own box, then using a grab tool (such as wget) to grab a static
version of the site.

firstcustomer

There is a webserver for our massive Intranet, using Lotus Domino I
beleive.

Like I said previously, becasue of the amount of red tape in my
company, it is not possible for me to use it.

Jim Higson

There is a webserver for our massive Intranet, using Lotus Domino I
beleive.

Like I said previously, becasue of the amount of red tape in my
company, it is not possible for me to use it.

Then it might not be possible for you to do the task you've been set, except
for as a non-maintainable mess. Why not just tell them that, and then not
do it if the red tape doesn't clear?

This is akin to the boss asking a joiner to knock in nails, but not letting
him use a hammer. Sure, you could knock them in with a rock, but if it
really is that bad, you'd probably be better to just look for a new job.

Jim Higson

So, if you could explain to me how to do it in w2k standalone, that'd
be great...

What does "w2k standalone" mean exactly?
You mean without *any* web server software? In that case it cannot be done
short of creating your own web server.

firstcustomer

Quit right! Welcome to my world!

The thing is, is that it is in my interests to do this!

So, is there any help forthcoming?

Jim Higson

Quit right! Welcome to my world!

The thing is, is that it is in my interests to do this!

So, is there any help forthcoming?

Well, if you're determined to bang nails in with a rock, what software do
you have appart from Win2K? Does the Win2K box have any kind of webserver
software?

Are you allowed to install new software, such as Apache on the w2k box? How
about on your workstation machine?

Even static pages need a server.

Jim

Richard Sexton

Then it might not be possible for you to do the task you've been set, except
for as a non-maintainable mess. Why not just tell them that, and then not
do it if the red tape doesn't clear?

This is akin to the boss asking a joiner to knock in nails, but not letting
him use a hammer. Sure, you could knock them in with a rock, but if it
really is that bad, you'd probably be better to just look for a new job.

More like using a golf club to drive in a masonry bolt. It might be possible
in the theoretical sense but nobody has ever really got that to work. If
said eejit boss thinks theres's a 1% chance it will work he'll simply think
you're lazy if you don't try.

"It can't be done" are probably the words you're grasping for. Tell him
to call IBM Global Solutions and ask for a quote.

Richard Sexton

Even static pages need a server.

file://localhost/C:/

not if they're local

but at this point you take the rock you're given and bash somebody's head in,
possibly your own if you spend much time reinventing this wheel

Jim Higson

Richard said:
file://localhost/C:/

not if they're local

Fair enough. (although it could be argued that with the file 'protocol' the
browser acts as the server).

I suppose it *could* be done. I wouldn't want to be the one to update the
HTML stored locally on every computer though. Kinda does away with the
whole point of doing it as a web.

Jose

The user is faced with a question:
What OS is the customer using?
* XP
* Linux

Now, when the user selects one, another question and drop down appears
BELOW this, something like:

Is it:
* XP Pro
* XP Home

As a user I find this anane behaviour very annoying (both on web sites
and in tax software). Give me the whole list at once - don't play
twenty questions!

What OS is the customer using?
* XP Pro
* XP Home
* XP unknown edition
* Windows 98 SE
* WIndows 98 (original edition)
* Windows 98 unknown edition
* Linux (Red Hat)
* Linux (SUSE)
* Linux (KDE)
* Mac OS X
* Mac classic
* DOS 3.1
* DOS 4.0 (sorry, no support)
* Northstar DOS
* Commodore 64

Granted, sometimes you really =do= need a tree of questions, but based
on your example (and my experience with other software) most of the time
it is a ten branced tree of two choices, rather than a two branced tree
of ten choices.

Jose

Richard Sexton

Fair enough. (although it could be argued that with the file 'protocol' the
browser acts as the server).

I suppose it *could* be done. I wouldn't want to be the one to update the
HTML stored locally on every computer though. Kinda does away with the
whole point of doing it as a web.

Ironically, usenet news does this, the media you're using to say how
hard it would be :) You can read news localy off of a distant NNTP
host, it takes care of keeping all the local files up to date. So
while it's a bit arcane you could install news software and let it
do its thing and point DOCUMENT_ROOT to the news spool.

Stop grimacing, I DID say it was arcane.

Richard Sexton

It would be stored on a network drive, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Well there you go. The serverless web server. Let the OS handle transport.

Not exactly portable, but not unportable either.

dorayme

I'm creating a knowledgebase site at my workplace, and I'm kinda
limited as to resources (in terms of technology) because we are running
Win2K. I don't have access to a web server for this, so its more or
less just HTML and JavaScript.

I'm wanting to do the following:

There is a drop down menu, which loads up another drop down menu
(preferably in the same page) depending on the answer.

Let me demonstrate:

The user is faced with a question:

What OS is the customer using?
* XP
* Linux

etc

There would be many different ways to skin this cat in plain html
(without javascript).

Why not the simplest possible approach? "What OS is the customer
using? is on one page. If XP is chosen, this is a link that takes
you to a page with further questions.

You have as many pages as is practical. You do not have to assume
from this that you must put one alternative per page. This would
be extremely irritating in fact! It is quite likely you can,
without confusion at all, show a few routes on the same page. For
example:

Not necessarilly just:

XP, Mac? (both links)

but maybe

XP Pro, XP Home, Mac pre X, Mac X .... (all links)

How you organise and layout will be defined by the particular
circumstances. You will put in as much on each page as will not
cause confusion to the not-too-far-below-average-in-intelligence
user