    a little green in that area.

    Thanks in advance, your help is greatly appreciated.

    Jason
    Jason, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Jason

    Karl Guest

    Here's a pure-html sample..tested in firefox 0.9 and ie 6:

    <head>
    </head>
    <form>
    <select name="first" onChange="changed(this);">
    <option value="1">Canada</option>
    <option value="2">US</option>
    </select>

    <select name="second" />
    </form>

    <script language="javascript">
    var lookups = new Array();
    lookups[lookups.length] = new Lookup(1, 1, "ontario");
    lookups[lookups.length] = new Lookup(1, 2, "quebec");
    lookups[lookups.length] = new Lookup(1, 3, "manitoba");
    lookups[lookups.length] = new Lookup(1, 4, "nunavut");
    lookups[lookups.length] = new Lookup(2, 5, "ohio");
    lookups[lookups.length] = new Lookup(2, 6, "florida");
    lookups[lookups.length] = new Lookup(2, 7, "washington");
    lookups[lookups.length] = new Lookup(2, 8, "idaho");

    function Lookup(parentId, value, name){
    this.parentId = parentId;
    this.value = value;
    this.name = name;
    }
    function changed(sel){
    var second = document.forms[0].elements["second"];
    if (!second){
    return; //error
    }
    var selectedValue = sel.options[sel.selectedIndex].value;
    second.options.length = 0;
    for (var i = 0; i < lookups.length; ++i){
    var lookup = lookups;
    if (lookup.parentId == selectedValue){
    var option = document.createElement('OPTION');
    option.value = lookup.value;
    option.innerHTML = lookup.name;
    second.appendChild(option);
    </script>

    Karl

    "Jason" <> wrote in message
    > I have two drop down lists on my asp.net page, the second of which needs

    > be filled in based on the selection in the first dropdownlist. The catch
    > however, is that it must occur without a postback and I need to feed the
    > selected values into other variables in the program.
    >
    > Does anyone have a way to accomplish this? I'm guessing javascript, but

    I'm

    Karl, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Thanks Karl, that's very close to what I'm looking for except for one thing:
    My dropdownlist is defined as a server control, not just as a 'select
    name...'.

    <asp:dropdownlist id="ddlCategory" style="Z-INDEX: 103; LEFT: 80px;
    POSITION: absolute; TOP: 248px"
    runat="server" Font-Size="11pt" Font-Names="Garamond" Width="248px"
    AutoPostBack="True"></asp:dropdownlist>

    I've tried substituting ddlCategory with 'first' but can't seem to make it
    go. Is it possible to somehow send the value of 'second' to a variable in
    my code-behind page or is that just not feasible? Or (even better) to simply
    use my existing server controls in the below script instead of defining new
    ones?

    Thanks again,

    Jason

    "Karl" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME net> wrote in
    message news:%...

    Jason, Sep 3, 2004
  4. Jason

    Karl Guest

    Jason:
    You shouldn't need to change first....the onChange="" method passes a
    reference to itself...for 2nd, change the code to
    var second = document.forms[0].elements["<%=yourSecondDll.UniqueId%>"];

    Karl, Sep 3, 2004
  5. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Alright, I must've not eaten my wheaties this morning, because I can't get
    this working...

    my second dropdownlist is named ddlSpecific. I have the following as my
    'changed(sel) function'

    var second = document.forms[0].elements["second"]; //This works to populate
    the second javascript select box...

    var second = document.forms[0].elements["<%=ddlSpecific.items%>"]; //This
    doesn't work, but is the one I need to work.

    Any thoughts?

    Jason, Sep 3, 2004
  6. Jason

    Karl Guest

    ddlSpecific.items --> ddlSpecific.UniqueId

    Karl

    Karl, Sep 3, 2004
  7. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Alright, that worked fantabulously. Thanks alot Karl.

    Strangely enough, for some reason when I switch between 'Design' and HTML
    view on the visual studio designer, twice it has corrupted the html portion
    and therefore destroyed the design view as well.

    Regardless, after a quick restore from a previous version everything is
    working just peachy.

    Thanks alot Karl, I appreciate all the help.

    Jason, Sep 3, 2004