Dynamic form fields added with appendChild or innerHTML do not POST on submit in Firefox

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Derek Basch, May 24, 2007.

  1. Derek Basch

    Derek Basch Guest

    I spent several hours struggling with dynamic form fields added with
    appendChild or innerHTML not POSTing on submit in Firefox. The only
    way I found to make it work is to append any created fields to a DIV
    within the form. Here is an example I store from another post. I hope
    this helps someone.

    <head>
    charset=ISO-8859-1">
    <title>creating input elements dynamically</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function addInput () {
    var div;
    if (document.getElementById) {
    div = document.getElementById('hiddenList');
    var input;
    if (document.createElement && (input =
    document.createElement('input'))) {
    input.type = 'hidden';
    input.name = 'currentDate';
    input.defaultValue = input.value = new Date().toString();
    div.appendChild(input);

    function showQueryString () {
    document.write('<p>location.search: ' + location.search + '<\/p>\r
    \n');
    }

    </script>

    </head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    showQueryString();
    </script>

    <form name="form1" action="test.php">

    <input type="submit" onClick="addInput()">
    </form>

    Derek Basch, May 24, 2007