dynamic if statement

upperdecksu

I am new to python and struggling with creating a dynamic if statement.

I have a set of queries that are run against various databases/tables. The result is all the same in that I always get back the same field names.

What I want to do is total the results differently based on the table. so for instance

I query fld1, fld2, fld3, qty, qty2 from table1
then I loop thru the results
if fld1 = 'a' add qty to some_total1

I query fld1, fld2, fld3, qty, qty2 from table2
then I loop thru the results
if fld2 = 'b' add qty to some_total1

I query fld1, fld2, fld3, qty, qty2 from table3
then I loop thru the results
if fld3 = 'c' add qty2 to some_total1

I created a database pair that contains (table1,fld1 = 'a',add qty to some_total1)
(table2,fld2 = 'b',qty to some_total1)
(table3,fld3 = 'c',qty2 to some_total1)

So I know which table I am using, I query my list pair but I cant see how to build the if statement using the results from the query.

something like this would be the result
var1 = "fld1 = 'a'"
result = "add qty to some_total1"

if var1:
result

Tim Chase

I have a set of queries that are run against various
databases/tables. The result is all the same in that I always get
back the same field names.

I query fld1, fld2, fld3, qty, qty2 from table1
then I loop thru the results
if fld1 = 'a' add qty to some_total1 ....
I created a database pair that contains (table1,fld1 = 'a',add qty
to some_total1) (table2,fld2 = 'b',qty to some_total1)
(table3,fld3 = 'c',qty2 to
some_total1)

Given the data-structure you have, and that it's hard-coded (rather
than able to take dynamic/dangerous user input) for the table-name,
I'd do something like this (untested)

for tablename, compare_field, compare_value, source_field in (
("table1", "fld1", "a", "qty"),
("table2", "fld2", "b", "qty"),
("table3", "fld3", "c", "qty2"),
):
# using string-building rather than escaping because
# 1) we know the tablenames are hard-coded/safe from above, and
# 2) this sort of escaping often chokes query parsers
query = "SELECT fld1, fld2, fld3, qty, qty2 from %s" % tablename
cursor.execute(query)

name_index_map = dict(
(info[0], i)
for info, i in enumerate(cursor.description)
)
for row in cursor.fetchall():
db_value = row[name_index_map[compare_field]]
if db_value == compare_value:
addend = row[name_index_map[source_field]]
some_total_1 += addend

-tkc

Mark Lawrence

[...]

Looks like this should be :-
for i, info in enumerate(cursor.description)
)

--
"Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are
watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." Snooker

Mark Lawrence

Tim Chase

name_index_map = dict(
(info[0], i)
for info, i in enumerate(cursor.description)

Looks like this should be :-
for i, info in enumerate(cursor.description)

Doh, indeed, you're correct. As forewarned though, it *was*
completely untested, so anything remotely approaching working code is
merely a tribute to how easy it is to write Python that actually runs.

:)

-tkc

[...]

thanks for the help.. with a bit of tweaking i got it working as needed