    capability?

    Thanks in advance.

    Bhat
    Generic Usenet Account, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Generic Usenet Account

    Zahid Faizal Guest

    (Generic Usenet Account) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Most of the open source web-service products that I am reading about
    > seem to require generation of client stub and server implementation
    > ancestor classes from the WSDL file. The client application links in
    > with the stubs. Like CORBA SII, the client operates on a proxy
    > (albeit a "service proxy" and not an "object proxy") in its address
    > space.
    >
    > This approach seems to limit the scope of web services. Is there an
    > equivalent of CORBA DII for web services? I believe the UDDI standard
    > allows clients to invoke services without having compile-time
    > knowledge of the service description. Is this correct? Also, are
    > there any open source web-service products that support this
    > capability?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bhat

    The web-services specifications do not preclude the possibility of
    "dynamically" discovering the description of a service and then
    binding to it, although hardly any of the C++ products that I have
    looked at support that capability.

    Having said that, I must admit that I feel that the whole notion of
    "dynamically" discovering the description of a service and then
    binding to it is, like CORBA DII, a pipe-dream. Yeah, you can make it
    work in some "toy" applications, but the feasibility of this approach,
    in the real world, is questionable. Many times I wish that DII and
    dynamic service description discovery were merely described as the
    means towards reducing integration time and effort. Remember, unless
    you have the "business logic" to process a response from a
    service/interface regarding which you had no compile time knowledge,
    you cannot get very far and all you can come up with is a "Toy Story".

    --ZF
    Zahid Faizal, Jun 23, 2004