    Google produces lots of things...

    TTFN

    Paul

    Paul F. Johnson, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Paul F. Johnson

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know it's possible to create dynamic menus using DHTML and/or JS, but
    > is it possible to do using CGI?
    >
    > If it is, can anyone recommend a good website showing how to do it?
    > Google produces lots of things...
    >
    > TTFN
    >
    > Paul

    Well... DHTML is client side... CGI is not. So basically, the answer is
    no. DHTML is real-time dynamic - you move the mouse over something and
    the browser triggers a lump of code that was loaded with the page. CGI
    is *never* sent to the browser, so this simply wont work. Every time a
    user clicked, you'd have to send data back to the serer and then get the
    server to redraw the entire page (or frame). Obviously not what you
    usually want when you are just moving over menu items...

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Paul F. Johnson

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Paul F. Johnson said:

    > Hi,

    g'day

    > I know it's possible to create dynamic menus using DHTML and/or JS, but
    > is it possible to do using CGI?

    i assume you mean some sort of server side language not actually cgi. it
    is possible with the delay of the client/server sweet talking each other
    being an issue but that may be offset with the advantage of the menu
    working for everyone.

    > If it is, can anyone recommend a good website showing how to do it?

    just pick your favorite server side language and learn it.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 13, 2004
  4. Paul F. Johnson

    aa Guest

    What exactly do you mean by "dynamic"?
    If you mean that, the manu is build dynamically on the server, it is
    possible. The multy-level menu is a tree-structure which is best described
    in XML, which on the server is converted into HTML for which purpose, I
    guess, CGI might be suitable. For sure this is possible with ASP

    Try http://www.asptoday.com/

    aa, Oct 13, 2004
  5. Paul F. Johnson

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Paul F. Johnson wrote:

    > I know it's possible to create dynamic menus using DHTML and/or JS, but
    > is it possible to do using CGI?

    No. CGI = a server side communication process.

    Use the menus at http://devedge.netscape.com/

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 14, 2004
  6. On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:16:54 +0100, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> I know it's possible to create dynamic menus using DHTML and/or JS, but
    >> is it possible to do using CGI?

    >No. CGI = a server side communication process.
    >
    >Use the menus at http://devedge.netscape.com/

    When did you last check the page Toby?
    The page cannot be displayed

    --
    Apachie,
    Photoshop,

    Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record, Jan 30, 2005
  7. Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:16:54 +0100, Toby Inkster
    > <> wrote:

    >>Use the menus at http://devedge.netscape.com/

    > When did you last check the page Toby?
    > The page cannot be displayed

    Since he, as far as I know, doesn't maintain the page, and that the post you
    are refering too was written last October, there seems little point in
    mentioning this now.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jan 30, 2005
  8. Paul F. Johnson

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record wrote:

    > The page cannot be displayed

    What do you bloody expect? The post to which you're replying is 3 months
    old.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 30, 2005
  9. On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:33:51 +0000, David Dorward <>
    wrote:

    >Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:16:54 +0100, Toby Inkster
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Use the menus at http://devedge.netscape.com/

    >> When did you last check the page Toby?
    >> The page cannot be displayed

    >Since he, as far as I know, doesn't maintain the page, and that the post you
    >are refering too was written last October, there seems little point in
    >mentioning this now.

    I knew NTL was slow with the newsgroups but this is ridiculous.
    It showed up here yesterday hence my interaction.

    Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record, Jan 30, 2005
  10. On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:05:34 +0000, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record wrote:
    >
    >> The page cannot be displayed

    >What do you bloody expect? The post to which you're replying is 3 months
    >old.

    Apologies - NTL must be screwed again...

    Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record, Jan 30, 2005