Dynamic menus

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

I know it's possible to create dynamic menus using DHTML and/or JS, but
is it possible to do using CGI?

If it is, can anyone recommend a good website showing how to do it?
Google produces lots of things...

TTFN

Paul

SpaceGirl

Paul said:
Hi,

I know it's possible to create dynamic menus using DHTML and/or JS, but
is it possible to do using CGI?

If it is, can anyone recommend a good website showing how to do it?
Google produces lots of things...

TTFN

Paul

Well... DHTML is client side... CGI is not. So basically, the answer is
no. DHTML is real-time dynamic - you move the mouse over something and
the browser triggers a lump of code that was loaded with the page. CGI
is *never* sent to the browser, so this simply wont work. Every time a
user clicked, you'd have to send data back to the serer and then get the
server to redraw the entire page (or frame). Obviously not what you
usually want when you are just moving over menu items...

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

brucie

In alt.html Paul F. Johnson said:
Hi,
g'day

I know it's possible to create dynamic menus using DHTML and/or JS, but
is it possible to do using CGI?

i assume you mean some sort of server side language not actually cgi. it
is possible with the delay of the client/server sweet talking each other
being an issue but that may be offset with the advantage of the menu
working for everyone.
If it is, can anyone recommend a good website showing how to do it?

just pick your favorite server side language and learn it.

aa

What exactly do you mean by "dynamic"?
If you mean that, the manu is build dynamically on the server, it is
possible. The multy-level menu is a tree-structure which is best described
in XML, which on the server is converted into HTML for which purpose, I
guess, CGI might be suitable. For sure this is possible with ASP

Try http://www.asptoday.com/

David Dorward

Titus said:
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:16:54 +0100, Toby Inkster
When did you last check the page Toby?
The page cannot be displayed

Since he, as far as I know, doesn't maintain the page, and that the post you
are refering too was written last October, there seems little point in
mentioning this now.

Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record

Since he, as far as I know, doesn't maintain the page, and that the post you
are refering too was written last October, there seems little point in
mentioning this now.
I knew NTL was slow with the newsgroups but this is ridiculous.
It showed up here yesterday hence my interaction.

--
Apachie,
Photoshop,

Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record

What do you bloody expect? The post to which you're replying is 3 months
old.
Apologies - NTL must be screwed again...