Dynamic pages on search engines

Jason

Originally, all my news articles were linked to

"username/cgi-bin/forum/articles.cgi?fid=01&topic_id=1067649399"

But I made a small script that puts all that data in urls like,

"username/.pl/articles/aymqmgweww.html"

I made it convert numbers to letters in hopes of it being more apt to be
indexed by search engines, such as google.

My question is, will the search engines still think of "/.pl/" as a script
that gives dynamic pages? I am hoping it will think of it as a normal
folder, because alot of hidden folders look like that anyways.

My site is only a week old, will this change make it any more or less likely
to be indexed? Thanks

Toby A Inkster

Jason said:
Originally, all my news articles were linked to
"username/cgi-bin/forum/articles.cgi?fid=01&topic_id=1067649399"
But I made a small script that puts all that data in urls like,
"username/.pl/articles/aymqmgweww.html"

Nicer would be:
username/forum/fid01/topic1067649399

However, Google doesn't *seem* to penalise dynamically generated pages
anyway (YMMV) -- if you're going to change URLs like this it should really
be for the benefit of the user rather than for Google.

Zak McGregor

Nicer would be:
username/forum/fid01/topic1067649399

However, Google doesn't *seem* to penalise dynamically generated pages
anyway (YMMV) -- if you're going to change URLs like this it should
really be for the benefit of the user rather than for Google.

For Google could very well benefit the user too though.

Google won't index variables with names of *id* - and possibly urls too,
so perhaps consider not using that.

Ciao

Zak