Dynamic / relative HTML positioning on Ebay

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jason, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Hello all,

    First let me say, I am an absolute HTML beginner. I used Corel Draw to
    create the following ad that I would like to use on Ebay. However, when I
    paste the Corel Draw generated HTML into the Ebay ad creator, my pictures
    and text do not line up properly in the "Description" section of the Ebay
    ad. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the HTML code I am
    using has fixed pixel positions for my images. I am wondering how I get the
    picture & text positioning to be dynamic and be referenced to the start of
    the Description section, not the absolute top of the Ebay webpage. Right
    now my images are all over the page, some of them overlapping all the Ebay
    info like auction start time, item locations, etc.

    To get around the issue, I created a .jpg of my webpage and use it as a
    static image for my ad...not desirable at all. Any suggestions would be
    very gratefully appreciated.

    Here's the HTML page:
    http://www3.telus.net/jetta333/graphic2.html

    Here's my Ebay ad with just one big .jpg image:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=793642048
    2&category=33747&sspagename=WDVW

    Thanks,
    Jason
    Jason, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Jason

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Jason

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Mark Parnell scribbled in the mud:

    > Previously in alt.html, Jason <> said:
    >
    >> http://www3.telus.net/jetta333/graphic2.html

    > 404

    Ok for me.

    --
    Duende (irregular)
    Friends help you move.
    Duende, Nov 29, 2004
  4. Jason

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Duende <> said:

    > Ok for me.

    Yep, is now.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Nov 29, 2004
  5. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Sorry, fixed that 404.

    Jason, Nov 29, 2004
  6. Jason

    rf Guest

    Jason wrote:

    > I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the HTML code I am
    > using has fixed pixel positions for my images. I am wondering how I get

    the
    > picture & text positioning to be dynamic and be referenced to the start of
    > the Description section, not the absolute top of the Ebay webpage

    Wrap it in a div with position: relative (no left, top).

    Position: absolute positions not to the parent element but to the containing
    element. This is the ancestor element that has position other than the
    default, or the body element. You new div will be a containing element.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 29, 2004
  7. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Richard - thanks for the advice. I understand what you're saying, but how
    do I make this happen with HTML? ie. what would I modify in my HTML code?
    As you can see, I am a real newbie.

    Thanks,
    Jason

    Jason, Nov 29, 2004
  8. Jason

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Nov 29, 2004
  9. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Could anyone please post what the HTML woud look like to achieve what
    Richard advises below? If you could be so kind as to view my source and
    then make a recommendation, I'd be very appreciative.

    Thank you.

    Jason, Nov 30, 2004
  10. Jason

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Jason <> said:

    > Could anyone please post what the HTML woud look like to achieve what
    > Richard advises below?

    Basically, at the beginning of what you already have, add:

    And at the bottom, add:

    However, since your page has <html> tags etc, the results of how it
    looks regardless of what else you do are going to be a lottery. You
    should get rid of everything up to and including the <body>, and
    everything from </body> on. Of course, this will mean that you lose your
    styles too, so the text won't look the way you expect. Really, you can't
    expect to be able to do what you want without some knowledge of HTML.

    BTW: Please don't post upside down.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

    This will help:

    Mark Parnell, Nov 30, 2004