    <option value=""></option>
    <%=Manager%>
    </select>
    Michael McGrew, Dec 13, 2006

  2. Michael McGrew wrote:
    > I have a Dynamic drop-down box that is populated based on a ADO query.
    > This works fine. I want to capture the users selection and assign it
    > to a variable for use in another query. I am using the onChange event
    > to try and capture the users selection but it always passes the last
    > entry in the drop-down list not what the user selects. Can anyone
    > help me with this. I am very new to ASP\Jscript\Vbscript. A snippent
    > of the code is below.
    >
    > <select name="cur_mgr"
    > onchange="setMgr(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value);">
    > <option value=""></option>
    > <%=Manager%>
    > </select>

    This is not really an ASP issue (you'd be having the same problem if
    your file had a .htm extension instead of .asp, wouldn't you?): it's a
    client-side scripting issue. You haven't shown us enough here to allow
    us to reproduce your problem. When you post to the client-side scripting
    group (microsoft.public.scripting.jscript) include the setMgr function
    code. Also, run your page and View source so you can include the html
    for the options in the select element.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 13, 2006

  3. Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
    > Michael McGrew wrote:
    > > I have a Dynamic drop-down box that is populated based on a ADO query.
    > > This works fine. I want to capture the users selection and assign it
    > > to a variable for use in another query. I am using the onChange event
    > > to try and capture the users selection but it always passes the last
    > > entry in the drop-down list not what the user selects. Can anyone
    > > help me with this. I am very new to ASP\Jscript\Vbscript. A snippent
    > > of the code is below.
    > >
    > > <select name="cur_mgr"
    > > onchange="setMgr(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value);">
    > > <option value=""></option>
    > > <%=Manager%>
    > > </select>

    > This is not really an ASP issue (you'd be having the same problem if
    > your file had a .htm extension instead of .asp, wouldn't you?): it's a
    > client-side scripting issue. You haven't shown us enough here to allow
    > us to reproduce your problem. When you post to the client-side scripting
    > group (microsoft.public.scripting.jscript) include the setMgr function
    > code. Also, run your page and View source so you can include the html
    > for the options in the select element.
    >
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    The setMgr function is just simple javascript to set a variable.

    function setMgr(curMgr) {
    var sMgr = curMgr;
    }

    I get the variable but it is always the last item in the drop-down
    select, it doesn't reflect the selection.
    Michael McGrew, Dec 13, 2006
  4. "Michael McGrew" <> wrote in message

    > Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
    > > Michael McGrew wrote:
    > > > I have a Dynamic drop-down box that is populated based on a ADO query.
    > > > This works fine. I want to capture the users selection and assign it
    > > > to a variable for use in another query. I am using the onChange event
    > > > to try and capture the users selection but it always passes the last
    > > > entry in the drop-down list not what the user selects. Can anyone
    > > > help me with this. I am very new to ASP\Jscript\Vbscript. A snippent
    > > > of the code is below.
    > > >
    > > > <select name="cur_mgr"
    > > > onchange="setMgr(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value);">
    > > > <option value=""></option>
    > > > <%=Manager%>
    > > > </select>

    > > This is not really an ASP issue (you'd be having the same problem if
    > > your file had a .htm extension instead of .asp, wouldn't you?): it's a
    > > client-side scripting issue. You haven't shown us enough here to allow
    > > us to reproduce your problem. When you post to the client-side scripting
    > > group (microsoft.public.scripting.jscript) include the setMgr function
    > > code. Also, run your page and View source so you can include the html
    > > for the options in the select element.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    > > Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
    > > header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
    > > quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.

    > The setMgr function is just simple javascript to set a variable.
    >
    > function setMgr(curMgr) {
    > var sMgr = curMgr;
    > }
    >
    > I get the variable but it is always the last item in the drop-down
    > select, it doesn't reflect the selection.

    All the option values are "" so I'm surprised you are getting any value at
    all.
    Anthony Jones, Dec 14, 2006