Dynamic Select and onChange

Michael McGrew

I have a Dynamic drop-down box that is populated based on a ADO query.
This works fine. I want to capture the users selection and assign it to
a variable for use in another query. I am using the onChange event to
try and capture the users selection but it always passes the last entry
in the drop-down list not what the user selects. Can anyone help me
with this. I am very new to ASP\Jscript\Vbscript. A snippent of the
code is below.

<select name="cur_mgr"
onchange="setMgr(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value);">
<option value=""></option>
<%=Manager%>
</select>

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Michael said:
I have a Dynamic drop-down box that is populated based on a ADO query.
This works fine. I want to capture the users selection and assign it
to a variable for use in another query. I am using the onChange event
to try and capture the users selection but it always passes the last
entry in the drop-down list not what the user selects. Can anyone
help me with this. I am very new to ASP\Jscript\Vbscript. A snippent
of the code is below.

<select name="cur_mgr"
onchange="setMgr(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value);">
<option value=""></option>
<%=Manager%>
</select>

This is not really an ASP issue (you'd be having the same problem if
your file had a .htm extension instead of .asp, wouldn't you?): it's a
client-side scripting issue. You haven't shown us enough here to allow
us to reproduce your problem. When you post to the client-side scripting
group (microsoft.public.scripting.jscript) include the setMgr function
code. Also, run your page and View source so you can include the html
for the options in the select element.

Michael McGrew

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

The setMgr function is just simple javascript to set a variable.

function setMgr(curMgr) {
var sMgr = curMgr;
}

I get the variable but it is always the last item in the drop-down
select, it doesn't reflect the selection.

Anthony Jones

Michael McGrew said:
Michael said:
[...]

All the option values are "" so I'm surprised you are getting any value at
all.